Coop, Buy or DIY

One thing I picked up on early in this thread was that you were "forced" to get the chickens. I am a firm believer that if agreeing to take care of them is not something you want in your life then perhaps not having them is the right choice.

Just sayin....

Very well stated.

Nice looking coop and hoop 21

Last edited:
Thanks BigBirdRick.
Over the years I have built many. I finally got tired of struggling with tiny coops. The larger one posted is still small. The main coop is 8x14.

I used the word force just because I couldn't decide on keeping the chicken, but my kids always wanted to have some pet. They had a beautiful healthy genie pig which passed away after 8 years living with us. Since than my kids asking me to get something and I was keep making excuses. Anyway the only reason I am trying to make a 3 foot wide is because I want to put them by the fence gate. Anything bigger will block the gate.
As per everyone suggesting I am considering 4x6 now.

One question: For the main cabin, is 2 foot hight is good enough?

And approximately, how tall the buff Orpington grows.

Thank you

Last edited:
Buff Orpingtons get to be about 12 to 16 inches tall. Hatchery sourced birds can vary quite a lot. 2 feet doesn't leave a whole lot of room for ventilation. 3 to 4 feet makes for a more flexible coop, giving you more choice for nesting boxes, roost height, and ventilation.

One question
I saw that our local LOWES is selling 2x3 lumber. So is it a good idea to use 2x3 instead of 2x4. I am just trying to reduce some weight.

You only need to use treated lumber where it touches the ground. If you do a search for chicken coop there are some facebook videos showing step x stepp.

Back
Top Bottom