coop foundation?

sagicraw

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
live in mid michigan building 6X8' coop. What do you reccommend for foundation? I will have a plywood floor.
1 dig post holes and 4X4 posts?
2 place on 4X4 runners and lay it on ground?
3 on cement piers sitting on the ground and rim joints sitting on the piers?
4 on 4X4 posts 1foot long just sitting on ground?

Or any other suggestions. Thanks

Any of those would work, but if you dig post holes, they should be at least 42" if not 48" deep to avoid frost. You don't want the coop to pitch. I like the cement pier ideas. Keeps the coop up high enough to keep critters out with hardware cloth and easier to level or even slope as some do for cleaning purposes. Runners are good if you think you might ever need to move the coop. 2"x 6"'s work pretty well for runners.

perfect! I wasn't looking forward to digging 4'deep post holes . Piers would be great. Appreciate any and all ideas.

Thank you

Frost heaving not withstanding, I would place it on the ground on runners or piers. Being small, a chicken coop seems unlikely to rack from ground heaving. If it hove, you could always level it again in the spring. The chickens won't care.

Chris

I've used piers on a couple projects and like them. My coop is the same size and for the way I was doing it I thought a 2X4 was adequate for the post. I blocked it into the pier as you see. The flat 2X4 on the left also has a 2X2 block under it to lock it into the pier channel.

Back
Top Bottom