Coop planning in New England

jedigurl

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
MA
I’ve been looking at SO many different coop designs trying to figure out what will be best for me and my new flock(4). I live in a suburb and have seen hawks, foxes and coyotes occasionally. It snows here in the winter.
I know ventilation is super important. Are there any problems with a 3x4 coop with no floor, over a 5x5 run? I was planning to use some hardware cloth for the run and add peak vents in the roof.
I like the idea of the droppings being right on the ground.

Will they be free-ranging regularly? If protection is one of the goals here, as you referenced hawks foxes, etc., id consider a much bigger run for them to have regular access to

Yes! I want a walk in run next to the coop for more space during the days. Does it have to be as predator proof as the coop part?

I'd go much bigger on the coop unless you plan on fully winterproofing your run (roof, wind breaks) as birds may not want to venture out in inclement weather.

Your idea of having no floor might not work so well in a cold climate where cold air is drawn up from underneath the coop and upwards to the vents. You generally only see that style in hotter climates where it's used to keep chickens cooler.

The actual run does not need to be predator proof if you're able to keep an eye on it most of the time (mine's not predator proof but I'm at home most of the time and I can hear the chickens from my desk), and /or are willing to accept that it may be breached during daylight hours.

If you want chicken keeping to be healthful for both birds and keeper....
Go bigger(much) on both coop and run.
Make run predator proof and winterize-able.
Are there any limitations on poultry and their housing in your suburb?

If you want chicken keeping to be healthful for both birds and keeper....
Go bigger(much) on both coop and run.
Make run predator proof and winterize-able.
Are there any limitations on poultry and their housing in your suburb?
No, there aren’t any limitation other then not allowing livestock to leave your property and be a nuisance to neighbors.
How do I make something winterized? Roof that holds snow? Does it need wind blocking walls?

Roof that holds snow? Does it need wind blocking walls?
Yep.
Could be a good idea depending on the site and how the weather blows there. Might not need it on all sides.

Coop should have good ventilation up high that is impervious to blowing snow/rain. Good to have it big enough for them to stay in 24/7 during extreme weather events.

How do I make something winterized? Roof that holds snow? Does it need wind blocking walls?
Winterizing usually involves tarps or removable panels around the run walls to blunt and block cold wind, rain and snow intrusion. If you do a search on this forum you'll see many variations on it. Depending on amount of snow you get and temperature range it might not be needed at all (I get minimal snow so I simply shovel, no need to protect the run), or it might really be needed as I see folks on here who get several feet of snow that would otherwise fall into the run.

I agree with the others - bigger is better in this climate. Highly recommend a walk-in coop in a cold climate. Not only can you easily walk in and take the birds off the roosts for examination, medicating, etc. (especially helpful in bad weather), but the height will allow 24/7/365 ventilation far above them which prevents cold air from hitting them on the roost.

I would not do an elevated coop without a floor in New England. I use the deep bedding method (see this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/). I clean the coop only a few times a year and let the bedding pile up in the winter to provide warmth and padding. This method is very low maintenance.

Ok, I’ve updated my plans to be a 4x8 area with a full roof, with a 5x3 indoor coop, 2 feet off the ground. So in the winter, 15sqft inside and 32 sqft outside. In the summer, they can access the whole fenced in area in my yard during the day.
I’ve got 4-5 sqft of ventilation with peak vents, and two openable windows and the chicken door.
(The two pictures at the bottom are from each side)
IMG_3143.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom