Coop Size and ventilation

AmazingRachel

Songster
Mar 10, 2017
Westchester, NY
I have a 4 ft. x 6 ft. insulated coop attached to a 6 ft. x 12 ft. covered run. Wichita Cabin Coop design.
1. How many chickens could I fit in the enclosure? (they would free range a couple hours a day) (I'm not getting any big breeds like Brahmas or Jerseys, so basically midweight-lightweight chickens).
2. How much ventilation is necessary? I've heard 1 ft. of ventilation per 10 ft. (I have two 12 in. x 8 in. eave vents on the high side of the coop, will this be enough for 24 sq. ft.?) (Would it be recommended that I put an adjustable vent on the coop floor level to get fresh air sucked in as hot humid air goes out or is this unnecessary? Also wouldn't this cause a draft?)

Chickens need 4 square feet of space per bird in the coop. They need 10" of roost space each, with roosts above the nest boxes at 3, 4, or 5 feet. 2x4s work well.
1 nest box for every 5-8 hens. 12x12x12. Below roosts.
1 square foot of ventilation PER BIRD. Keep it up high well above roosts. If you live in a hot climate (+25°C or above in summer) also add openable and closeable ventilation (like windows but solid wood) at roost height to create a summer draft or to stop airflow in winter.
Cover any holes 1/2" or larger with 1/4" hardware cloth. I also highly advise against free ranging, so consider a run space with 20 square feet per chicken using 1/2" hardware cloth or welded wire.

since you live in NY (cold and snow) I would say 4 maximum.

If you wall off one, maybe 2 sides of the run, so it is more like an extension of your coop, then 6 maximum.

4 maximum chickens?
yes, a maximum of 4 chickens.

6 square feet of inside sheltered space is the minimum when we are talking long cold dark snowy winter that lasts for more than a month.

If you lived down south, you could fit 6 in there, but that would be tight.

There are SO MANY more behavior problems when the hens have less space.

yes, a maximum of 4 chickens.

6 square feet of inside sheltered space is the minimum when we are talking long cold dark snowy winter that lasts for more than a month.

If you lived down south, you could fit 6 in there, but that would be tight.

There are SO MANY more behavior problems when the hens have less space.
I must say if your temp rarely gets down below -4°F (-20°C), 4 square feet will be okay. Birds are hardy and mine go out even in -30°C weather.

That doesn't make much sense. The coop has 24 sq ft. so I thought it would be good for at least 8 or at most 10 chickens. I have 7 right now and they seem to be tolerating our small 3 ft x 5 ft coop just fine. I figured that the new coop would be an upgrade. I have a mixture of Cream Legbars (leghorn sized), Barred Rocks, and some Stars.

That doesn't make much sense. The coop has 24 sq ft. so I thought it would be good for at least 8 or at most 10 chickens. I have 7 right now and they seem to be tolerating our small 3 ft x 5 ft coop just fine. I figured that the new coop would be an upgrade. I have a mixture of Cream Legbars (leghorn sized), Barred Rocks, and some Stars.
7 in a 15 square foot coop? 7 in a 15 square foot coop? All I can say is those poor birds....
They should have at least 4 square feet of space per bird. Your newer coop is suitable for 6, maximum.

24 square feet with 10 chickens = just over 2 square feet per bird.

Back
Top Bottom