Coop ventilation

smilebrite

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Hi I recently bought a coop on e bay that is 3x4 inside the coop.The only ventilation is slight space between boards on the front & one side.I want to insulate it for winter.The area isnt big enough for windows.I saw a doghouse solar fan.Anyone use this.How does it work in the winter.Any ideas?Dont want to spend a arm &leg for it.Thanks

There's not much need to insulate coops.
If you have enough ventlation, you'll not be holding in much heat.

Insulation works best in HEATED structures with big temperature differentials

What kind of floor vents do you use.Do you place them on the floor then.?How many would you use for that size coop.

i made a mistake with mine by putting them across from each other because the wind just blows strait through, so one up high and one down low but not so low it makes it hard for u to open and close. get the metal ones they last longer and if ur worried about mice, put some hardware cloth over them. what ever size u find on sale for the register vents as long as they are a standerd size, in case u want to replace them will work. i think mine are 4 by 12

you want ventilation, but you don't want drafts in cold weather. Most people keep there vents high and block one side of the cross ventilation on cold nights so, there is no draft! It's a balancing act and confusing at first. Be careful with ventilation in low spots. They could easily get clogged up with litter and such.

What is your location? Would help to know what kind of climate your dealing with.

Got a pic or link to the coop you have? Would help to see what you have to offer solutions.

Insulation does not really help with cold, because of the ventilation as mentioned, but it can help keep a coop cooler in sunny, hot climates.

I have a coop that is 4 x 4. It's a school house style coop with wire mesh at the top on both sides.I don't plan on heating it this winter. If I keep one side covered it should be OK then right? I was also told to put vasoline on the hens combs. Is that right? I live in Bountiful Utah. We don't get a lot of below 0 temps. here but we did get freezing rain last year and some bitter cold weather that was really unusual. The lady I got my hens from said she didn't heat the coop last winter and all the hens were fine. She said she used weed barrier cloth to cover up both sides of the wire mesh.She said she folded it so it was triple the thickness. I guess if I just did one layer that should prevent any breeze right? I don't want the coop to get too damp! I also don't want it to be too dark for the hens. Another question should I leave the coop door open during the day in the winter so they can go outside if they want? I was thinking I could put a tarp over part of their enclosure to keep the snow out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have 3 hens and 3 11 week old chicks. The chicks just started roosting in the coop a few nights ago. The oldest hen has decided to let them roost close to her I'm sure for their body heat. I have a silke hen that is always in a next box at night and doesn't roost. I also have a cochin that gets in the same next box with the silkie at night a lot. The other hen is RIR and she gets on the perch every night.

Here's a video I made of my coop's ventilation.

0.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom