Coq au Vin

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
We followed the River Cottage Meat Book recipe (amazon.co.uk by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) last night and did two chickens. We used some of our older homegrown meat birds. The preparation is nearly identical to this version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/nov/25/foodanddrink.shopping

All I can say is wow. I've had it in restaurants before, which was great. But, doing it yourself is also amazing. It was probably 3.5 hours from start to end.

Hey Debi, us Americans don't know squat about metric, so I use this handy website to convert different measurement systems:

In this case, I'd type in 40 g of butter and then ask it to say how much it is in ounces...
http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_all.htm

The answer is 1.4 ounces, so a little less than 1.5 ounces.

Last edited:
Quote:
debi, i have a small cheap food scale from walmart.(big diet plan, gone bad...
roll.png
..)..and i believe it has grams on it for measuring...good luck, Wendy

You'll just find in general that everywhere in the world uses weights in their recipes, whereas the US holds stubbornly to cups and teaspoons. :0

It's not that bad once you have a decent scale
smile.png

I originally bought my scale for weighing lye in soapmaking..But recently my roomate was diagnosed with diabetes..So the scale is extremely handy these days!! So glad I invested in it
big_smile.png

Quote:
3.5 hours? I had seen a recipe somewhere else that had a week's preparation of marinating, etc. I was actually looking for something to do with mature roosters and came across "coq au vin". I have always enjoyed Alton Brown's show on the Food Network, so I looked up his version and was sadly disappointed. The origin of the recipe is for using older roosters, and using storebought fryers just doesn't capture the essence of it. I emailed Alton Brown and told him so. "Coq" translates to "rooster". I am curious to see if it is actually possible to prepare the mature rooster as per this recipe and have it turn out well. Has anyone sucessfullly used mature roosters?

Back
Top Bottom