Corid resistant coccidiosis: Switching to Sulfadimethoxine. Do I continue with the Corid drench?

K2goatsandducks

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
I have 3 8-week-old pullets with coccidiosis that have been on Corid water for over two weeks. Two are looking good, but the minute I reduce the dosage, the bloody mucous poops come back.

The other is also battling what appears to be MG (previous posts #1 and #2), but I've been told to prioritize treating the cocci. She has been on the Corid water (9.8 mL/gallon) for 2 weeks, and I've been drenching her with .15 mL of Corid directly (her cocci was the worst). I skipped a day of drenching because I thought maybe we had it under control, but she immediately threw multiple very bloody poops.
I have Sulfadimethoxine coming in the mail tomorrow. (Medicox from Jedd's).
I was going to stop the Corid water and switch all the pullets to the Sulfa water, but my question is this:

Do I continue to drench the one pullet with Corid while she's on the new Sulfa water? Or do I just put the Sulfa in her water and that should be enough? Like I said, when I skipped a drench, she pooped bloody within 12 hours, and as long as she's getting the Corid drench her poops have looked normal.

I found this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/amprolium

"Amprolium is marketed only for veterinary use, sold alone or in combination with a substituted aminobenzoic methyl ester (ethopabate, a p-aminobenzoic acid analogue, which interferes with folic acid biosynthesis), or in combination with sulfonamides or pyrimethamine. It is used in poultry and cattle."

Can someone confirm that I can, indeed, continue the Corid drench with the Sulfa water? Perhaps I can wean her off it? Or again, should I halt the drenches and go all in with the Sulfa water?

You poor dear, you must be emotionally exhausted.
So sorry for the delay in replying! Things got so very busy trying to sort everything out.

The good news is my sick little pullet pulled through! She is smaller, has a cross-beak, and is not what you'd call brave, but she is incredibly sweet and personable. She eats, drinks, takes dust baths, and enjoys the sunshine.
I'm eager to see how she does when she comes into laying age. :fl

The other two "pullets" ended up being cockerels. :barnie Fortunately the breeder took them back.

Back
Top Bottom