Corn

The problem isn't corn itself, just feeding excess amounts.

Corn is hard to diguest, therefore takes more energy to do so and creates higher body temps which are a bad thing in hot weather.

Does cooked corn do the same? I have been giving Bob about a tsp. of cooked corn and peas every few nights (since he has been in the house) and it never occured to me that cooked corn might warm him up like dry corn does.

so..in winter time..is dry corn a good thing to give them?..to help them stay warm?...thanks, Wendy

Quote:
Where do these misconceptions come from!?!?

Corn does not have the heat increment of many other ingredients and is a great source of energy with a high digestibility.

In contrast, fiber poduct produce excess heat due to the fermentation process needed to digest them.

Jim

I had corn described to me by an ex horse racer:

"Corn gives them (horses) energy. Give them the amount they need for the energy they will use. If they have too much energy and sit in a stall, they just go nuts, trying to use that energy and not being able to. They can get founder, colic, all sorts of things. If they get out and play enough, they work hard enough, corn is a good thing, it'll keep em going."

My chickens have an acre and a half to roam and there's only four of them. They get a handful of an oat/cracked corn/BOSS mix scattered near their run each day. They're doing great. Granted chickens are not horses, but the concept is the same. It doesn't just raise body heat, it gives lots of energy. I also noticed that the chickens will leave behind some of the grain mix if they are in the mood for more bugs or greenery. They make decent choices.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Where do these misconceptions come from!?!?

Corn does not have the heat increment of many other ingredients and is a great source of energy with a high digestibility.

In contrast, fiber poduct produce excess heat due to the fermentation process needed to digest them.

Jim

I guess I'm wondering too because I know my Nana fed her chickens corn everyday. They didn't have commercial feed like we do, they used what they could get around the farm.​

I wonder about the corn myself, my granny always fed corn to her chickens, dad said growing up they fed corn.

Back
Top Bottom