Coturnix/Japenese quail good first poultry?

BrandonM

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Title basically sums up my question, is Coturnix/Japenese quail a good first bird?
And one more question do most people call them coturnix or japenese?

I find here most people seem to call them Cots.

They are a good starter quail, but there's a lot you need to research on them. Good luck!

Oh I should add, when you call them Japanese please don't use the racial slur "Jap". I see this slur pop up fairly frequently on these forums and it's rather offensive - it has been used in a hurtful way for many decades now.

"Cot" as far as I know, is not considered offensive and while it's a general term for many quail subspecies, when you say it here most people realize you're referring to Japanese quail.

Not trying to be overly PC here, just I feel it's better to be kind and gain friends than lose a potential one.

Unless you live in Australia and Jap quails are what you will find them listed as . I can assure you that is not racially toned it is just what they have always been called here.

cots or coturnix at least here locally....
worst butchering of the name I had a lady wanting "quarter necks"

think about that one for a minute
lau.gif

Unless you live in Australia and Jap quails are what you will find them listed as . I can assure you that is not racially toned it is just what they have always been called here.
I see. In my area it'd be considered a terrible slur. I'd never use it, even among my closer Japanese friends. Due to my own experience, my feelings still stand - I find it racist. I would say, be cautious how you (general) use it and with whom, depending on localities as well. That is to say, this is the Internet - while servers may be in the US, we've people from all cultures here.

Edit for clarity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom