Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I forgot to mention another time I had just started incubating and hatching quail. I had quail and chicken eggs in the bator together. When they all hatched, quail first by about 3 days, they were together in the brooder. One night the warming light went out and it got pretty cold inside before I woke and noticed it. The baby quail were being brooded by the fuzzy butt baby chicks. I am pretty sure I would have lost the quail if I had not had the baby chicks in the brooder with them.

Some who dont agree with raising quail with chickens dont like me to report my results of putting them together as they think it will promote this being done. My point is although it might not be conventional it does work and sometimes it is for the best for all.

I agree...if you manage it well it will work.  Think about it, animals live together in the wild.  They might not choose to stay close together but sometimes they find themselves in the same proximity.  Once they see that neither is a threat, no predators and prey together for instance, then they can peacefully exist together.  Do provide separation in a large open area so they can get away if they choose.  I use excelsior for hiding in and small boxes on their sides and open on one side so a quail or two can hide inside.  I have my fantail cages sort of in the middle but to the side of the aviary space.  Many of my quail like to stay along the side of the cages between the aviary side wire. They stare out at the chickens, watching all the commotion.  Good luck and I, for one, think it will work out well for you.  Put some tree and plant brush inside too, they like to hide in it.
I'm pretty sure it'll work out but we'll see Saturday for sure.

Picked up my first batch of quail! One week olds, 9 total. Pens to be built this week.

Last edited:
Hi there! Just wondering .. We are getting quail eggs to incubate in. A few days for the first time...we have heard that you should not eat quail eggs from your hens if you have a roo in the pen..is this true?

Hi there! Just wondering .. We are getting quail eggs to incubate in. A few days for the first time...we have heard that you should not eat quail eggs from your hens if you have a roo in the pen..is this true?

Hi how are you?
Maybe the person you heard this from was paranoid , i keep my male with my females and i still eat the eggs , deviled quail eggs are extremely good

Back
Top Bottom