Coturnix Quail Hatch Along

Pics

foog

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
Pennsylvania
A teeny bit late as some chicks have already hatched, but I’ve decided to do a hatch along for the rest of my eggs!

I have 4 eggs being put into lockdown today. Everybody is super excited for these chicks as they’re from a favorite hen. I have 27 more eggs incubating. They were shipped, and I am not very hopeful they’ll hatch well. I think they were sitting for around 2 days because the seller was too busy to ship, and then they were in the mail for 3 days. The eggs seem oddly shaped and such as well. Disappointing, but hopefully some hatch.

Here are the 2 chicks that hatched 7/26 and 7/27! These are the first babies from my own flock! They are siblings. Super friendly little chicks. The kids love them! They’ve started naming them after Pokémons haha

Attachments

• EFF5139C-88B8-4D94-9CA7-2A9233ABFC4E.jpeg
    EFF5139C-88B8-4D94-9CA7-2A9233ABFC4E.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 510
  • 7621322F-F403-4DE5-ADF9-BCEF6BD4B5F5.jpeg
    7621322F-F403-4DE5-ADF9-BCEF6BD4B5F5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Oh wow! I just put my eggs in lockdown about 16 hours ago, and a chick has already hatched! I came in from working on their pen, and saw eggs out of place in the incubator. Then a chick ran at me!! Mine usually hatch around day 17… never had one hatch so early :confused:

Definitely a cutie pie though, I gotta get pictures! Hatched from one of the celadon eggs it looks like. I was worried none of them were gonna hatch! :celebrate

Breaking the silence with some sad news.. had to cull one of the white chicks. Black dot aka Small Fry. He was the first bird we’ve had to cull, and of course he was a chick. I’m just so upset :(

Everyone else is doing good. Chunk and Zapdos have almost fully feathered out. They’ve been put in a separate pen. They’ll be going outdoors soon! Currently building a whole new area for the flock, and I really want to get it done sometime in the next week.

Everybody loves the black chick with the little mask. Looks like a penguin
I'm sorry. The first bird I ever had to cull was a chick too. It was very, very hard emotionally, and so easy physically that it seemed to make the emotional side even harder.

Back
Top Bottom