Could someone take a guess on the breed? (Sorry, no pics)

BirdNut

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Suprise, Arizona
I saw a gorgeous fancy pigeon at my local bird rescue, and I'm very curious of the breed. He's rather stocky-figured with a broad chest, a double crest (A tuft on the back of the head like an Archangel or a Blondinette, with a smaller forward-curving crest on the forehead), a short beak that matches the 'Owl' breed category, a fairly low-carried tail, and he's booted. His coloration is solid black with white mottling throughout his boots and wings. If it helps at all, his temperament is extremely calm, easy-going, and tame; so much so that I was able to pick him up and hold him without a struggle. What could he be?

perhaps a trumpeter?
English+Trumpeter+Pigeon+1.JPG

That's definitely a great guess, but I don't recall the tuft on the back of his head being so large and bouffant. The boots on that guy also look a lot bigger. Maybe what I saw was a pet-quality Trumpeter, or a mutt?

It could be a mix of a trumpeter or a different type of trumpeter. The one in the picture is an English Trumpeter
smile.png

Sounds a lot like Uzbek Crack Tumblers:
DSCN2581.JPG

They come in more colors than white, of course, and I have seen their muff length vary. This is the short-faced variety. They also come in a medium length beak.
This variety of them matches the black mottled birds you described:
Breeders_0085.JPG

Other double crested breeds:

Bokhara Trumpeter
GEDC0795.jpg

Double Crested Saxon Priest
normal_2004_0228Image0025~0.JPG

German Double Crested Trumpeter
german-double-crested-trumpeter-4.jpg

English Trumpeter
ET1.jpg

Bernburg Trumpeter
Bernburg+Trumpeter+Pigeon.jpg

Czech Trumpeter
Dresden Trumpeter
And others that are clean-legged and I don't feel like looking up
big_smile.png

The only ones you'll have luck finding in the US are Crack Tumblers, Saxon Priests; and English, Bokhara, and German Trumpeters. I'm about 99.9% sure the birds you saw were Uzbek Crack Tumblers
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom