Could this be two different breeds?

Tamayeager

Chirping
Sep 16, 2021
I bought three ducklings from rural king. I really like Rouen. They only had three little ducklings. Well, I couldn't very well leave the one behind. So took all three. Assuming there were two Rouen and one Appleyard. One of the little brown ones was a bit smaller than the other. I have seen this before. And thought nothing of it. I assumed in a few days, it would catch up in size. But it hasn't. I do believe one to be female. And one male. Simply from their voices. And the beginning of beak color changes. But, I have never seen such a difference in size! They all act very healthy and happy. So no worries about its health. But could it be a different breed? I have not found any other ducklings that look like this other than mallard. Could it possibly be a mallard? I know they are smaller than Rouen. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20221012_133248.jpg
    20221012_133248.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
I was afraid of that. I wonder if having a rouen mate will keep it from flying off.
I've had a mallard in the past and, even though she would sometimes fly 9ut of the fenced area, she never went far.
I think it's really only something to worry about if you have multiple mallards or if something really frightens her.
You can always trim her flight feathers, too. Done properly, it doesn't hurt a bit.

Thank you. I had mallards many years ago. And as soon as the first spring hit, when they were full grown, they "flew the coop"! Lol but they were all mallards. So, hoping this one will stay put. I really loved the last rouens I had. The drake would go for walks with me. Even walk me to my car for work. And meet me at the sidewalk when I returned. His name was Charlie. He was special. I doubt I will ever get another Luke him, but I still don't want to get attached and one just leave.lol Thank you for the response!

I agree with the other comments. A few years back I had someone drop off their Easter ducklings. They said they had "Three Rouens and one is sickly" over the phone. The "sickly" one wasn't sickly at all just a little Mallard hen. While she could fly as well as any wild duck since she was raised with the Rouens she stayed with the Rouens.

Oh that is great news! I really do believe it is a mallard. Everyday, the size difference is even distinct. But, will it be an issue, having a rouen drake with a mallard hen when it comes to mating? I am really disappointed that they are not both rouen. Thank you for the reply

Well, let's see my Muscovy drake weighs close to 15lb. his females weigh anywhere from 4-5lb. It would def be best to have water available for mating it's much easier on the females.

Back
Top Bottom