Counter-peristalsis

bousky

Chirping
Dec 10, 2023
Southern California
My Americuna laid an egg inside of a membrane late yesterday. We also found a membrane filled with egg whites in the roost today. She has only been laying for a month or two. From the first egg, her shells and membranes have been very thick. If you want to keep the yolk intact you need to cut the membrane.
My question is; is there a diet that will help her avoid this? My flock gets a variety of feeds and snacks, most are organic. Their absolute favorite, I call chicken crack, is shelled sunflower seeds. I want the girl to be as comfortable as possible and egg laying hasn't seemed all that comfortable for her lately. Any advice?

How much do your birds weigh? And what is the preferred weight for the type of bird? Fat birds can have laying problems. Starvation can cause problems too, but I don't see that here.

But otherwise, diet has a little effect on laying. Any laying feed is or should be meeting the birds required needs. Most of laying comes from genetics and problems are due to body ailments or defects. I would not hatch from this bird, and if I was tight on space, this bird would be culled.

Mrs K

How much do your birds weigh? And what is the preferred weight for the type of bird? Fat birds can have laying problems. Starvation can cause problems too, but I don't see that here.

But otherwise, diet has a little effect on laying. Any laying feed is or should be meeting the birds required needs. Most of laying comes from genetics and problems are due to body ailments or defects. I would not hatch from this bird, and if I was tight on space, this bird would be culled.

Mrs K
Thank you, I am fairly new to keeping chickens. There is a possibility that I overfeed my chickens. They really love sunflower seeds and ask for them often. Mabel, the chicken in question is pretty solid. I don't know her weight though. She is only about 8 months old. I will get her weight when she leaves the roost.

Attachments

• IMG_0532 2 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0532 2 Medium.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom