Cover Crop for chickens that grows in shade?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have some areas around my house that I just can't get to grow anything that I would want to eat but it occurred to me that there might be some type of ground cover or Cover Crop that I could feed my chickens.
Does anyone know of some plants that grow well in deep shade that chickens like to eat?

I've got some sort of vining weed growing absolutely everywhere including the shady and very dry parts of the yard. Medium, rounded leaves with a little point and tiny white flowers. I have no clue what it is but it's prolific as anything and the chickens are crazy about it. I'll have to get a picture and maybe someone will know. And then, of course, there are always dandelions. Those things will grow just about anywhere.

You could try growing some greens for them to eat. Greens will grow in areas that are too shady for other types of vegetables that bloom and bear fruit. In the middle of summer's heat, they may even do better in shade, depending on what you're growing.

Ah, I found the ID. It's chickweed. Lots and lots and lots of (apparently delicious to chickens) chickweed growing here in TN.

Quote:
+1,000,000

That was supposed to be love not live! Lol... Oh, I used to have some beautiful hosta. So glad my chickens enjoyed picking it clean!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom