Coyote Information Please

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
We have 50+ chickens and chicks. Our oldest were hatched in February and are free range. Their coop is very safe and we have not lost any from the coop, but we have just started having losses during the day. Our first loss was one of our 6 week olds who we found headless and cropless in the fenced garden. A hole had been made in the fence. It happened in the late afternoon or early evening. Seems like the MO of a raccoon, right? And our 6 week olds are in a brooder on the front porch and we have chased two raccoons away during the night on multiple nights (although the coons come alone, not together. They are not afraid of us.)

Our three other losses were a 6 week old silkie, Blue, who disappeared without a trace and two of our older girls, a Partridge Cochin, Lyra and a Colombian Wyandotte, Anne. One left feathers, the other nothing. We are very sad. We have five roosters... I wish they would have done something to try and protect their girls. Obviously, though, it is our job to protect them. Our landlord will not allow us to put up fences or a run, and we cannot get a dog, so we need to trap and kill them. We have been talking about getting a gun and plan on a .22, and we need to try and trap the predator. It could be a fox, but I believe it is a coyote. One day I saw a bushy tail run past and went outside and there was a coyote on a bank right above the chickens. He didn't run away until I threw a brick at him and banged two more together, then he ran down a steep hill that leads to a creek, which is not part of our property. We also heard a neighbors dog fighting with a coyote the other night, but we have had losses since then so it didn't take care of the problem.

If anyone has recommendations, experiences or tips for trapping or killing coyotes I would really appreciate it. We have two little kids (6 years and almost 2) and two beloved cats, as well as other chickens that we owe protection to. We are educated about guns and will take another course, but I would also like ideas about how people keep guns handy for use as well as safe from kids. I have lots of ideas about this and our kids are great, but I like to have as much information as possible.

This is hard.

Coyotes can be mean and they are a lot smarter than most people think. We've been dealing with coyotes since we moved to where we live, 16 years ago. There is 600 acres of woods next to my 4 acres, that a few packs live on. They have gone after my cat multiple times, and one challenged me in the middle of the night, but thankfully my dog ran it off.
I would recommend a .22 LR for coyote. They are relatively cheap, but depending on where you live, bullets can be expensive. They are small guns but can pack a punch. They are also relatively quiet and very easy to learn to use. I have 3, and love all of them. Because of having small children around, you need a gun lock handy for it, as well as simply educating them on gun safety at a young age. There are many courses all over the place, that teach gun/hunters safety and I would recommend that. My after has taught me so much about guns, and I learn new things all the time. He always says "I know you know to be careful, but it doesn't hurt to tell you again".

Coyotes are very sensitive to human scent. They hunt in packs and are smart. Do you see the coyotes? There are multiple ways we hunt them. One of my friends swears. By his method. He sits on his deck with his gun and waits. They have a motion sensitive light and see the coyotes near their beagles kennel, under the light at night. Once the light turns on, he shoots at the coyote. Now this only works if you have a light, and shooting during the night hours are well....frowned upon.. To say the least. The way my friends dad does it, is he baits and traps. He digs a hole 6 inches deep at a 45 degree angle and puts rotten fish or chicken meat in. He sets a foot hold trap in front of the hole and covers it with dirt and leaves so it isn't visible. He's caught many coyotes this way, and also swears by his method.
Provided you do catch/kill one, hang it from a tree in your yard. Yes it sounds gruesome, but when the pack sees its member hanging dead from a tree, it scares them and they usually don't return. Hope this helps, and good luck with your coyotes

Thank you very much for all the information. We have seen the Coyote twice - we actually saw it this morning while we were making sure all the chickens had food and water. Luckily we are keeping them in for now. It is a big one but I have only ever seen it alone. We have heard what sounds like a group of them at night before, though. I like what your dad said about guns - great advice.

Since we have twice now seen the coyote I am wondering if your friend's method would work well. We got a scope with the red laser to make it easy to aim and shoot quickly. We bought the gun (a .22 LR, like you said) today and will pick it up after the waiting period. We also bought a big trap. The guy at the store said to put a live chicken in it, but I don't think I can do that. It seems really cruel to the chicken, even if it didn't get hurt. Do you know of something else we could put in it?

You could put a rabbit in it. They're fairly easy to catch I hear. Really anything smaller that that would attract the attention of the coyote. I would be worried about the chicken getting a heart attack or something from a coyote!

You could put a rabbit in it. They're fairly easy to catch I hear. Really anything smaller that that would attract the attention of the coyote. I would be worried about the chicken getting a heart attack or something from a coyote!
I would, too! We have a polish rooster we don't like very much that we are planning to rehome, but it just seems kind of like torture to use them as bait. I have a hard time imaging putting any live animal in, though. Is there much of a chance raw chicken or sardines or something would work?
I think you need a portable electric fence!
We're definitely considering that. We also have cats, who obviously won't stay behind the fence, so although I feel very conflicted about it I think we need to eliminate the threat. Especially knowing it is coming back every. single. day. Our poor sweet chickens, I hate thinking of how scared they must have been.

I would, too! We have a polish rooster we don't like very much that we are planning to rehome, but it just seems kind of like torture to use them as bait. I have a hard time imaging putting any live animal in, though. Is there much of a chance raw chicken or sardines or something would work?
We're definitely considering that. We also have cats, who obviously won't stay behind the fence, so although I feel very conflicted about it I think we need to eliminate the threat. Especially knowing it is coming back every. single. day. Our poor sweet chickens, I hate thinking of how scared they must have been.

If they're coming back every day and you have time on your hands I would just wait somewhere with a gun. They've shown that they're comfortable returning so I think they'll keep coming back

Back
Top Bottom