Coyotes and pigs....

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Hi! I was wondering if coyotes can/will kill or go after pot belly pigs?
My 3 pigs range from 30 to 50 lbs... so they arent very big...
My concern is our coyote pack is back and getting very close to my yard again. They had left for awhile when the town blew up a homemade bomb they had found in some nut jobs house... (long story..) anyways the town detonated it in the sand pitts by my house where the coys had their dens...
And they left after that...
wee.gif

But now they are back... my neighbor called us this morning checking on our animals. She said they they were REAL close last night and sounded like they were feeding/attacking something... (of course we didnt hear anything...
roll.png
... but we cant hear anything outside with our air conditioner going full blast during the night...)
So.. my concern is... my pigs have a "pop door" in their barn that i leave open for them at night.... (so they dont mess inside their pig house at night.. )
If the coys find them, will they attack them??
I know that pigs are pretty tough... they'll fight back if cornered.. and my 2 boy pigs WILL try to protect my smaller female...
But my pigs arent very big..so...thats why i'm scared for them.
Just not sure if i should be worrying or not....

Last edited:
Coyotes in a pack are capable of killing large dogs. If they were able to seperate your pigs, two or three of them working together might be able to kill them. The pigs would fight back, and the noise would be enough to alert you if you were at home. I think that it is a legitimate concern. Several years ago while visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Atlanta, a group of five coyotes was "fence fighting" their German short haired pointer and lab/dalmation mix through the chain link fence. There have been instances where packs have attacked adult humans.

Hi ... You may not be aware how fierce pigs/hogs are. First, I doubt coyotes would even try to attack your pigs unless they are really stupid. They go after piglets but adults have armor plates and that famous pig skin. Pigs and hogs are the most dangerous thing in the wild around here in Texas. We are warned not to even try to shoot them unless we have a very high powered rifle cause they might get mad. I'm serious. Odysseus got a scar from battling a boar - it was a testament to his skill and bravery that he survived at all.

Your pigs are small - but they are smart. I still bet on your pets if push comes to shove.

Redhen,

Be very careful, no telling how pet pigs, used to dogs, would react to coyotes. Wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Good luck,

Imp- Ask the town to set off more explosives?

We are talking pot belly pigs not wild pigs and I can promise you that they coyotes will attack and kill your pigs. I have seen them attack a grown cow while she was trying to protect her calf. I would make sure their door was closed at night. Usually the coyotes won't attack during the day unless they are straving.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Yeah..i know how tough pigs can be... but these are sissy pot belly pigs..
lol.png

They RUN from my little drake duck that chases them..
gig.gif

I do know that when Olivia (female pig..) acts like shes in danger thay BOTH come running and grunting..VERY agressive like.
Hammie and i just had a little tussle over that the other day... he tried to swipe me with his tusk when we were giving Olivia her eye medicine and she was screaming like we were killing her...
roll.png

I won, and Hammie went away sulking.. cause i hurt his pride..
hmm.png

Good idea, Impie..
I'l have to start making my own bombs... You'll probably see me on the news in a few weeks...
tongue.png

I'm going to let my dogs in the back yard tonight so maybe if they mark their territory the coys will stay away??...
hu.gif

Anyways..thanks for the advice!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I'l have to start making my own bombs... You'll probably see me on the news in a few weeks...

You'll be fine, I'm raising bail as we speak
cool.png

Impie-Had another thought. If you can't hear them, maybe a baby monitor.​

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. Coyotes can and will lure dogs away to kill them. A coyote came into my backyard a few years ago, setting my female dog (she's gone now) to barking. Even when I went out onto the enclosed back porch he didn't leave until I went to open the outer door. He saw and heard me come out, but didn't offer to move until I started to open the door. I've not seen any since, but many pets, mostly cats 'disappear, never to be seen again.

My GSDs killed a 45 lb pot belly pig that some how got into the yard. I don't know if somebody dumped the poor thing in the yard or if it managed to push through chainlink fence.

Back
Top Bottom