Cozy Coop Heater - Pros/Cons, Pictures?

AmyVoigt

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
In Central MN and are finally starting to experience the cold of the winters. We started raising chickens in early August and they are just starting to lay eggs. We made our own coop; and 8x8x10 insulated structure, four windows with a ventilation fan inserted in one and currently have plexiglass in the others. We were trying to avoid using supplemental heat because we thought the insulation would be good enough and we have 15 birds housed in it. The first below-0 night had our waterers freeze and the birds were huddled together for warmth. The coop is exposed on the North/West sides so any wind will quickly cool things down. No frostbite but we were concerned. Took care of the water issue with a heated dog dish under the waterer but are currently using the brooder lamp to keep the chill out of the coop. Not what we wanted but is working until we can come up with another solution.

I did a lot of research and saw the Cozy Coop Heater come highly recommended on various websites. Just want to get an opinion from anyone here who has actually used it. My husband wanted to mount a regular electrical heater to the ceiling but I have to assure him we don't need to get that extreme and the Cozy Coop appears to me more cost effective. Anyone here using it and love it? Hate it? If you do use it, where do you put it? We want to mount it on the wall but don't know if we should put it under the roost or directly above the bars (see pre-bird picture below). Any pictures you may have to give us ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

2021-08-02 14.33.53.jpg

I dont have a picture but we have one mounted to the wall. This is our second winter using it. Our coop is small, 5x6. We only turn it on when it gets below freezing and it keeps the coop about 10 degrees warmer then the outside temp. I would not put it where they have to sit too close to it if they don't want to. It can get a little too warm if they are right on top it. I would put it on the opposite wall of their roost. They will be plenty warm enough with that. We like it. It works well for us.

There is no reason to have HEAT in the coop unless you live in Mid Alaska. Even in the mid/upper US shouldn't need it if you made you coop good.
I have a Plastic large shed that is my coop. Last group had hay bales on 2 sides on the coop. This year I didn't do that, I just have moving blankets wrapped on the Inside of the walls and a heated Dog Water bowl for their water... this does give off Humidity so I am watching carefully for frost bite this year here in New England.

Please don't heat, @KyCoop you really don't need to heat at all where you live.

It's like Horses, if you Blanket them they don't develope their under coat correctly. Sure you blanket when outside at 0ºF but if you want to be a purest, you don't even then.

We have a forecast of single digits next week, one night being -1. This is without wind chill. The wind always blows here. They roost in a large Overeasy coop https://overezchickencoop.com/collections/chicken-coops-1/products/large-overez-chicken-coop There is a red heat lamp, but was wondering if I should add the cozy coop heater a few nights or is the heat lamp light enough? If you look at the link I would put it by the little door they go out,
No don't. You already have some heat in there. Do you know what the temp is in there right now ?
They'll be fine. I personally think you should not have the heat lamp in there as it's not that big in there and you will throw off their feathers.
It would be one thing if they all molted and were down to bare skin.

Living in NW Montana I was really concerned the first winter I had chickens. Read a lot in the forums. Decided to believe what experienced people told me. I did not heat. I did not insulate. I did have 10 square feet of ventilation area that is never closed up but placed so no breezes blow on the birds. The water is heated and in the run. Food is also kept in the run. There is clear plastic covering 3 sides of the covered run so no breezes blow on the birds while they are out.

Got down to -26 F that first year. Chickens were outside in their run pecking and eating and doing chicken things. The cold didn't bother them a bit.

Just adding, wind chill only counts if there is wind blowing on the birds. In a well designed coop that will never happen.

The original post asked if anyone had this model warmer and if they liked it. NOT to get into a debate if chickens need heat in winter.
It's what I choose to have for my girls. It's a warmer not a heater.

I'm not hurting my girls by giving them a little comfort when it gets really cold. It's more for me then it is for them. I am well aware a dry chicken is a warm chicken and they have a purpose built coop that is draft free with proper ventilation.
Yes, I have this warmer and yes I like it.

We have a similar situation with our coop as yours we installed those cozy heaters in our coop the only time I've turned them on was when it was 10below only for about an hour in the last 3 years I tell some of my city friends there a flat panel TV some amazingly beleave me but I really like them for extreme conditions 😀 our roos have very large waddles and combs never had frostbite as seen in my pic 3 panels are mounted on the wall but the key is vent vent vent as high as possible

Attachments

• 20211118_134454.jpg
    20211118_134454.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 46
The original post asked if anyone had this model warmer and if they liked it. NOT to get into a debate if chickens need heat in winter.
Actually they said "There is a red heat lamp, but was wondering if I should add the cozy coop heater a few nights or is the heat lamp light enough?"
So they REALLY asked if they should add MORE heat.

Posters should know that they are asking on a forum and will get all sorts of answers that they can Read or NOT read. And since this is not a scientific forum with posters that have a degree in the subject being asked..... I gave my opinion, just like You did.

I still stand by my answer. There is already heat in there and adding more is not needed (IMHO none is needed).

Back
Top Bottom