craigslist free chickens for meat

oldrooster

One Crazy Nut
11 Years
Feb 19, 2012
monroe county indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone got free or cheap chickens of craigslist for meat like about the time people realize their chicks have grown into roosters instead of hens or they realize they where more time/cost than they realized it would be to raise.

I give away and sell unwanted birds on craigslist. Have a contact now for getting rid of my unwanted cockerels. Come to find out I'm the only one that will eat them here if they get over 14 weeks age. He only wants older males that crow to use for food. Chinese family with matriarch living with them so holding onto the old traditions of animal medicine. Making short the long of it- I'm an avid Craigslist user. I find it odd people undervalue or are more wary of purchases if from craigslist yet they buy meat and veggies from total strangers at a farmers market.

I give away and sell unwanted birds on craigslist. Have a contact now for getting rid of my unwanted cockerels. Come to find out I'm the only one that will eat them here if they get over 14 weeks age. He only wants older males that crow to use for food. Chinese family with matriarch living with them so holding onto the old traditions of animal medicine. Making short the long of it- I'm an avid Craigslist user. I find it odd people undervalue or are more wary of purchases if from craigslist yet they buy meat and veggies from total strangers at a farmers market.

right there with you. folks seem to see "Craigslist" and immediately think scammer, or pervert, or whatever. To me, it's free, easy to use advertising that gets great results.

Okay, that said, I've not been the buyer of said roosters, but have been the seller.

Do an advanced search on username booker81 ( I think that was the username). It was a few years ago, but she got lots of free birds off CL and butchered them for meals. Had some really nice looking birds.

I'd do it were I hungry enough, or motivated enough. As it is, I have plenty of cockerels from what I hatch. No point in bringing more in.

Quote:
Yea that gets me too, some people may want to meet elsewhere for transactions for safety but if you pickup at the place growen/raised you can perhaps say no if it looks unsanitary. does the farmers market people do inspections? I am sure most if not all don't if they do it isn'r often I'm sure.

Yea that gets me too, some people may want to meet elsewhere for transactions for safety but if you pickup at the place growen/raised you can perhaps say no if it looks unsanitary. does the farmers market people do inspections? I am sure most if not all don't if they do it isn'r often I'm sure.
to me it's all about safety so I meet buyers and sellers off of CL else where whenever appropriate. Somethings just can't be packed in the car. I also don't want people knowing where I live, showing up uninvited and helping themselves.

to me it's all about safety so I meet buyers and sellers off of CL else where whenever appropriate. Somethings just can't be packed in the car. I also don't want people knowing where I live, showing up uninvited and helping themselves.

X 2 - and, when dealing with livestock, there is the matter of bio-security to be considered which also makes meeting off-site a desirable choice.

I don't use CL...most don't advertise on there around these parts. We have a local publication called The Bulletin Board, wherein people can place free ads for selling various and sundry things and this is where I get free roosters and sometimes hens, for the purpose of eating them.

I never worry about safety and or even biosecurity and have gotten many a big ol' rooster for meat from free ads. One year I had gotten 19 roosters of various ages and breeds and a few hens, one year I got 20 ex batt hens for $1 each for eating. Nowadays I produce so many from my own flock that I don't need to seek out additional birds, but this year I was gifted 3 roosters from one source, 4 cockerels from another and, finally, 17 hens from a family member who was getting out of chickens altogether.

Free chickens are a great place to get free meat. I keep them here in a spare pen and feed them fermented feed awhile to clean up the flavor of their meat before processing them.

Back
Top Bottom