Crazy hair-do chickens... which breeds?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Ok, can you name me all the breeds with crazy hair do's? "crest" :) I saw a picture of one once that I LOVED but I can't figure out what it was :)

Polish, Crevecouers, Sultans, Spitzhaubens, Brabanters, Sulmtalers, Icelandics, Toppy Gamefowl, Chilean Cresteds, Silkies, Houdans, to name some.

Polish come in many colors like Silver Laced, Gold Laced, Buff Laced, White Crested Black, White Crested Blue, Black Crested White, Tolbunt, Crele, White, Black, etc. They are probably the most common although some colors are very rare, they have the largest crest of the breeds though.

Crevecouers are always solid black in the US and are seldom seen.

Sultans are solid white in the US and are also seldom seen, they also have heavily feathered legs and toes.

Houdans are mottled (black with white tipped feathers) in the US and are seldom seen, they have five toes instead of four.

Brabanters and Spitzhaubens have much smaller crests than the others and come in spangled colors, that is, they're either solid orange, yellow, or white with little specks of black on each feather. Their crests stick straight up.

It might help to google some of those, the Polish especially, in each color. If you saw something really neat and have never seen it before it probably is a rare color of Polish or something like a Houdan or Brabanter.

Also try Cream Legbars.

They were recently imported by Greenfire farms and are becoming very popular. Besides having a small crest they lay blue eggs and are auto sexing, sweet!

Trish

thank you! I will google them all. I like the spiky look HA!! The polish seem to be more of a poof from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom