Cream Legbar?

TillyD

Songster
Jun 1, 2022
This is our very first hatchling. First egg I ever candled, and then ended up being the first egg to hatch from our first ever clutch. Because this was the #1 egg and #1 hatch, we have dubbed them The One, Neo. I was told this one is a Cream Legbar.
So... Is this a Cream Legbar? If so, doesn't that mean she is a she?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220604-163659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220604-163659_Gallery.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 15
Nope, not a Legbar and probably not a she either.

As already stated the legbar chicks are chipmunk patterned. The shes have a tan ground color with brown dorsal stripes that have white edges to them. The shes have the black Cleopatra eye liner from the corner of their eyes and brown V on the top of their, that is an extension of the brown dorsal stripes. the point of the V is pointing to their beak.

The Legbar hes are visible different from the shes at hatch making Legbars and "autosexing" breed. The hes are more dilute that the shes from the presence of the sex-linked barring gene. They have more blurry less crisp barring. They have a white spot on the top of there head that usually breaks up any type of V from forming on top of the head. Their ground color is lighter than the shes.

What you have is a black and white chick. No chipmunk pattern all so defiantly not a Legbar. The black and white patterns are produced by chickens that are black (i.e. Black Copper Marans, Black Java, Black Breasted Red game fowl, etc. The black is dominant to the chipmonk pattern so if you cross breeds the offspring will come out with the black and white chick down. Crosses are nearly completely black where pure bread have a lot of white under the chin and and often on there stomachs making them look like penguins. They also can have white on the wings in some lines. the Shes in the black and white chicks are NOT autosexing being that you can not be 100% accurate on sexing them from the chick down, but the hes in the pure breeds will have less white on the face than the shes. If you see a lot of white on the face there is a good chance it is a she while the their is a good chance that all the hes will just have small white dots around the eyes (and an otherwise black face). Since mixes all about all black it is hard to say what this on is, but I would guess a he. It does have a bit of white around the bottom of the beak that could be from she genes but right around the eye there is just the small white dot which it classic of the hes. The shes typically have larger white patterns from the eye onto the face.

Nope, not a Legbar and probably not a she either.

As already stated the legbar chicks are chipmunk patterned. The shes have a tan ground color with brown dorsal stripes that have white edges to them. The shes have the black Cleopatra eye liner from the corner of their eyes and brown V on the top of their, that is an extension of the brown dorsal stripes. the point of the V is pointing to their beak.

The Legbar hes are visible different from the shes at hatch making Legbars and "autosexing" breed. The hes are more dilute that the shes from the presence of the sex-linked barring gene. They have more blurry less crisp barring. They have a white spot on the top of there head that usually breaks up any type of V from forming on top of the head. Their ground color is lighter than the shes.

What you have is a black and white chick. No chipmunk pattern all so defiantly not a Legbar. The black and white patterns are produced by chickens that are black (i.e. Black Copper Marans, Black Java, Black Breasted Red game fowl, etc. The black is dominant to the chipmonk pattern so if you cross breeds the offspring will come out with the black and white chick down. Crosses are nearly completely black where pure bread have a lot of white under the chin and and often on there stomachs making them look like penguins. They also can have white on the wings in some lines. the Shes in the black and white chicks are NOT autosexing being that you can not be 100% accurate on sexing them from the chick down, but the hes in the pure breeds will have less white on the face than the shes. If you see a lot of white on the face there is a good chance it is a she while the their is a good chance that all the hes will just have small white dots around the eyes (and an otherwise black face). Since mixes all about all black it is hard to say what this on is, but I would guess a he. It does have a bit of white around the bottom of the beak that could be from she genes but right around the eye there is just the small white dot which it classic of the hes. The shes typically have larger white patterns from the eye onto the face.
Yup! Definitely not a Legbar. I'm new to feather sexing, but my guess on that was male... Thinking s/he isn't pure anything, but possibly a Crevecoeur mix? Whatever they are, they are sweet and cuddly!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-161248_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-161248_Gallery.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom