@ChickenLeg, your birds are gorgeous! Is it hard breeding for those colors? And how do you know which birds to breed for those colors?
I just read the standards and research all types of forums and breeder clubs online. Im no expert in them in the least so I just wing it and cull hard on the males and try to get females with good type and decent colour. Its real hard to get a good male color silver and a good female in the same line so either your line is gunna usually be better for male or female colouring. Im focusing on male coloring for my silvers. As far as creles go, my females make it hard to know what color they will throw in males, again I just cull hard for the best males with least amount of red in their chest and the goldest saddle and hackles. Maybe in a few years the creles will be a cleaner line especially if I cross in Lf silvers. If they last that long here lol

Yes, he is carrying them like some bantam breeds.
Yes its extremely too low compared to standard, luckily his grandson that my friend raised has great wing carriage. He has just a bit of white in his chest though. I hope he doesnt mind me posting a photo of his bird, shout out to @RaineyTN. I also have 2 daughters from him that have nice wing carriage so hoping to back cross the best daughter to him and see what comes of it.

I also have 2 outcross pairings for the spring. One of the Silver sire with low wing carriage over my best silver based black hen, second is my best white cock over my best silver hen. It will be a few generations before I get the color anywhere near where it needs to be again so I'll continue working on my current line too until the outcross proves to have any added benefits. Hoping it helps with better type, less broodiness, better combs, and better temperment.

Attachments

• 20211222_122019.jpg
    20211222_122019.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 8
I just read the standards and research all types of forums and breeder clubs online. Im no expert in them in the least so I just wing it and cull hard on the males and try to get females with good type and decent colour. Its real hard to get a good male color silver and a good female in the same line so either your line is gunna usually be better for male or female colouring. Im focusing on male coloring for my silvers. As far as creles go, my females make it hard to know what color they will throw in males, again I just cull hard for the best males with least amount of red in their chest and the goldest saddle and hackles. Maybe in a few years the creles will be a cleaner line especially if I cross in Lf silvers. If they last that long here lol
Wow! Thank you!!

Wow! Thank you!!
If you want to read up any Fred Jeffery bantam genetics book has good info. As well as the ameraucana alliance and the ameraucana breeders club websites, if you search through their search bar. The-coop website, here, and there usta be a site called showbirds I believe that had a forum, but it was shut down several years ago. Also the chicken calculator helped me get started and giving me %s of the elocus backcrosses I needed to make. As long as I keep focusing on type and get my males a better coloration each year Ima be happy, as well as keeping the eggs as blue as possible 🤟

If you want to read up any Fred Jeffery bantam genetics book has good info. As well as the ameraucana alliance and the ameraucana breeders club websites, if you search through their search bar. The-coop website, here, and there usta be a site called showbirds I believe that had a forum, but it was shut down several years ago. Also the chicken calculator helped me get started and giving me %s of the elocus backcrosses I needed to make. As long as I keep focusing on type and get my males a better coloration each year Ima be happy, as well as keeping the eggs as blue as possible 🤟
Thank you!!!

Do you have pics of those adult birds as chicks? The hens appear to be birchen based instead of wildtype base, the male also seem to be birchen ER based(even with a faint wing triangle color, a e+/e+ would have that distinctive triangle color)

The hens and the male look too dark to be wildtype base, they might be wildtype split.

These are Golden Cuckoo Maran which are based on gold based birchen
1640357179122.png

They can still be sexed at hatch they just look different than wildtype chicks, the lighter one is the male
1640357315009.png

Do you have pics of those adult birds as chicks? The hens appear to be birchen based instead of wildtype base, the male also seem to be birchen ER based(even with a faint wing triangle color, a e+/e+ would have that distinctive triangle color)
I dont have any pics on my phone but my guess is they are all either eb/eb or e+/e+ or e+/eb. The mothers were all E/e+ or E/eb. I only saved the chipmunck down chicks as growouts, everyone else was sold off right after hatch. I believe some type of melanizers are at play with the wingbay, because its faintly there, and since the original cross consisted of good stock black and white ameraucanas. It still needs a few generations to clean em up 🤟

I dont have any pics on my phone but my guess is they are all either eb/eb or e+/e+ or e+/eb. The mothers were all E/e+ or E/eb. I only saved the chipmunck down chicks as growouts, everyone else was sold off right after hatch. I believe some type of melanizers are at play with the wingbay, because its faintly there, and since the original cross consisted of good stock black and white ameraucanas. It still needs a few generations to clean em up 🤟
Pictures of the chicks will help

Back
Top Bottom