Crooked toes

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I have a cochin cock with Crooked toes.

He walks done and it doesn't affect him. My first intention was not to show him and just have him as a breeder.

As he's matured from when I got him at 4 months, to now over a year old, I am really liking him actually.

So I'm looking for ways to possibly straighten his toes. You can move them back straight but they go back to crooked.

Last edited:
I tried this several times with my OEGB named "Toes" They would straighten back after splinting them, but after a few days they would revert to being crooked. You could give it a try and see if they go straight and stay that way at least for a few days then hope they stay straight for the show, though I suppose some people would consider it deceitful, like plucking an off color feather.

Nice avatar pic, btw.

Crooked toes are unfixable in adults. Sometimes you can fix them in new chicks but as they mature the set and stay crooked. Crooked toes will be a huge point deduction at a show if they don't get disqualified right off. I've found over the years that crooked toes can be passed on onto future generations. So in breeding stock for birds that may be shown or when breeding to APA standards crooked toes should be culled for. In my flocks crooked toes males go to the freezer. And females are given away to backyard flocks of a few good friends.

Crooked toes are unfixable in adults. Sometimes you can fix them in new chicks but as they mature the set and stay crooked. Crooked toes will be a huge point deduction at a show if they don't get disqualified right off. I've found over the years that crooked toes can be passed on onto future generations. So in breeding stock for birds that may be shown or when breeding to APA standards crooked toes should be culled for. In my flocks crooked toes males go to the freezer. And females are given away to backyard flocks of a few good friends.

Dang.. I was hoping I could find something that'd work
I was worried about it being a GM asked the previous owner and they said it was an injury.

I tried this several times with my OEGB named "Toes" They would straighten back after splinting them, but after a few days they would revert to being crooked. You could give it a try and see if they go straight and stay that way at least for a few days then hope they stay straight for the show, though I suppose some people would consider it deceitful, like plucking an off color feather. 

Nice avatar pic, btw.

Thank you. I thought the same thing that you did but since it's an injury i thought no harm done.

Dang.. I was hoping I could find something that'd work
I was worried about it being a GM asked the previous owner and they said it was an injury.
Thank you. I thought the same thing that you did but since it's an injury i thought no harm done.

Mine was a side effect of bad incubation, I think. I started with the splinting from the day after she hatched and had to do several rounds of splinting and each time it reverted. It was the outer most toe and finally on the last round (third, I think) it was still not properly aligned but they were no longer bending under to where she was walking on them so I decided that was good enough and left it. Those toes point more forward than they are supposed to rather than angling out.

Back
Top Bottom