Crooked/twisted toe and swelling

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I took my hen to the vet for bumblefoot that wouldn't stop swelling despite having been treated at home. They opened her back up and didn't find any infection left but sent her home with antibiotics (amoxicillin) and an anti-inflammatory (I'll check what it was later) for about two weeks. She had her foot wrapped and padded with a pool noodle slice too. She was never limping or having any issues with it in the first place but it didn't stop swelling. When I took the bandage off I expected the swelling would be gone, especially after two weeks of meds but it's just the same
only without any redness. Her toe though is totally crooked. It was like this before the vet but I thought it may just be her walking weirdly to help with any pain. I can tell now that it's just crooked on its own. Clearly she isn't in any pain, she still runs and walks normally and did before the vet too. Not even the crooked toe seems to bother her, but it's still swollen and disfigured which concerns me a lot. I really can't tell what's going on or what could be causing the swelling. It's completely twisted but if it were broken you'd expect her to be in pain.
IMG_4777.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg

It may have become crooked from the way it was wrapped unfortunately. The swelling may be from the wrapping, and possibly because the foot is dependent. Hopefully the swelling will decrease. Warm Epsom salts soaks daily might help with swelling and make it feel better. Does she have any swelling in her hocks? I suppose she could be developing gout in the feet.

Back
Top Bottom