crossing wyandottes and brahmas?

chickenjones

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Burleson, TX
Hi Everyone.
I have a golden laced roo, 2 silver laced hens and 2 golden laced hens. I also have 6 brahma pullets (some light and some dark). They are just over a month old. My question may be obvious. What will happen if we decided to try and hatch some eggs? What do you get when you cross silver laced wyandotte hens with a golden laced roo?

What would happen if the brahma hens were crossed with my golden laced roo some day?

I know nothing about genetics so I would love some feedback. Thank you!

ChickenJones

Crossing the GL roo over SL females you will get GL females and males that look like a mixture of the two. Its a sex link cross and you should be able to tell pretty quick which are which once their feathers start coming out. Just a guess for crossing the GL male against your Dark Brahmas would give you a similar sex link cross but not sure what the females would look like. Guessing a mixture of GL and Partridge look to those females. Male again would just look like a mixture of the two, a mish mash of silver, gold and black.
I know enough about genetics to be dangerous thats about it.
Sure someone else will chime about it too.

you'd either get whammas, or bramadottes. either way they'd be funny looking but i bet they taste good and lay fine. Post pics!
big_smile.png

Onthespot you are soooo funny!
lol.png
Well I am sure we will know at some point. Chicks are just too much fun and we have raised chicks but never hatched them ourselves. My mother in law does it all the time so I am sure we will give it a go soon! Thanks for all the info everyone!

I would say you guys are about right on the colors, the chicks out of the light brahmas may not be completely laced( kind of like a royal palm turkey). The brahma's chicks will probably be cushion combed, and various stages of feather legged.

There ya go, the real Wyandotte/Brahma cross expert has spoken! Thanks Big Medicine. You are a true fancier and are to be commended for your diligence in creating such new and exciting varieties. I dont think everyone can fully comprehend the amount of time, money and care you have put into your undertakings in creating your new varieties. I just cant fathom how much feed you have had to buy over the years to feed out all of those birds, Brahmas eat alot!! Those Silver Laced are truly exceptional.

Quote:
Of all the chickens I've raised, there has only been one wyandotte, and he was only here long enough to contribute a few genes to the cause a couple years ago, and down the road he went. So I can speak from only limited first generation cross experience.

Ya, as to the feed, I try not to think of that either.

Hello All'

I had 2 batches last year and the second gave me the most beautiful pullett SL Wyandotte x Light Brahma: She is white with white fluffy legs and just a bit of black in her tail and a bit of the black barring around her neck, the other 2 were: 1 full brahma and one Black Australorp X Light brahma mix - She is all black with black fluffy legs and beautiful as well. All beautiful girls- can't tell about their eggs tho, I guess I need a web cam in there!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom