Cuckoo marans hatching eggs

ginasmarans

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
West Tn
I am looking for a dozen cuckoo marans eggs from someone breeding to the standard. That means I need and egg that is at least a 6 on the color scale, a rooster with no side spurs on it's comb and a fairly short tail, single barred. I will take clean or feather shank but if feather shank, please no feathers on the middle toe. I am sorry to be so specific, but I am looking to bring new blood into my flock and would at least not to introduce faults into my flock. Last 2 times I ordered eggs,from fairly reputable breeders, i got all of the above listed as faults.. I had to cull almost every chick hatched.I will be setting under a broody mixed cochin, so I have a few days to play with. She just went broody and will stay that way for awhile. PM me with what you have and the prices. Pictures would be a plus.

I could add no gold leakage and no yellow legs. If you find any let me know. I am having the same problems
barnie.gif

You are correct. No yellow legs,no gold leakage. It is really hard to find good cuckoos these days. More popular varieties have taken over. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues and wheatens. I never was impressed with black copper. They looked too much like black-sex links. I had a few attacks this year from predators and my breeding stock has been decimated.

me to. i am looking for some eggs also. i have a three year trio that is on egg strike. i am wanting to add to my flock. if they would just start back laying i could share.

Maybe we will bith get lucky and then can swap up. I have 4 hens setting on my eggs, but i really want to bring new blood in to my flock. Some of my hens are getting up on age,so I don't get the eggs I used to.

I have some prospects growing out. I have a few cuckoo and blue cuckoo pullets with feathered legs. So far I don't see any gold on them. I have a Splash Cuckoo (came from a decent color egg) with only one copy of the barring gene so I can make some solid blues too. All have feathered legs. I also have some in the bator from someone. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe in the spring
fl.gif
I can't believe how hard it is to get OK cuckoos..... I am not looking for perfect just OK is fine.

I have 1 Cuckoo Hen with no gold and no feathered legs and she is going to be mated with that splash cuckoo roo SOON! I will still have to cull hard but I think they will get me an OK start.

i wish my old girls would just lay me a few more. i told them the water in the pot was getting hot. they replied there waitng for there retirement check. they are some of my first ever hatched chicks. so they will live a long happy life here eggs or no eggs.

None of my cuckoos have gold leakage. I got double barred in my roosters from someone's eggs and I am working to get it out. I have so-so tails, but hope this next generation will yield better ones. Look for me in the Spring.

pickledchicken has made me a offer on 5 young cuckcoo maran pullets. i hope to get them sat. he is keeping six of them. so i will have chocolate eggies soon. i am very excited and thankful he is willing to part with 5 of them. i cant find cuckoo chickens or eggs anywhere. i cant wait.........

None of my cuckoos have gold leakage. I got double barred in my roosters from someone's eggs and I am working to get it out. I have so-so tails, but hope this next generation will yield better ones. Look for me in the Spring.
Why are you working to get out the double barring gene? Roos are supposed to have 2 copies.... if they don't they don't breed true. It also helps sex them at hatch. I have had to BREED it INTO my Barred flock so they would breed true.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom