Cull or not?

What if I don’t plan on breeding him? These are just pets.
That’s your call to make. The biggest issue I see would be it slipping into the gene pool later if you do decide to breed your quail. Realistically you’re not going to raise that quail alone and separate from the others. If its a male he will top the females and if a female her eggs will fold into the other’s eggs. If you absolutely just know that you aren’t going to reproduce the quail ever, then not an issue. But it will be tempting to do so once they start laying cute little eggs.

That’s your call to make. The biggest issue I see would be it slipping into the gene pool later if you do decide to breed your quail. Realistically you’re not going to raise that quail alone and separate from the others. If its a male he will top the females and if a female her eggs will fold into the other’s eggs. If you absolutely just know that you aren’t going to reproduce the quail ever, then not an issue. But it will be tempting to do so once they start laying cute little eggs.
I’m new to hatching so is it possible it’s not genetic? If I keep him I won’t breed him, I have 8 other chicks from the hatch that I can breed.

I posted a picture above. Both his feet are like this. Can he live a normal life with toes curled this bad? I plan on trying to fix them when he’s bigger if I can.
Yes he can. I have heard of disabled chicks that have lived a normal and long life just like any chicken. You can try taping them again when he is older and bigger. 😊💚

We tried SO hard to get tape on them but he’s too small.
Did you cut out a little piece of cardbord with already wrapped tape underneath sticking out on both sides long enough to fold over the foot as soon as the other person holding him puts him down, so you can strech his toes in the right position and immediately fold the two sides of tape over the foot?

It is easier done when moving him slightly backwards helping the toes to get streched by the backwards move on the cardbord.

You can also use a bigger piece of thin cardboard and cut it to the right sizes after fixing the feet on top.

Did you cut out a little piece of cardbord with already wrapped tape underneath sticking out on both sides long enough to fold over the foot as soon as the other person holding him puts him down, so you can strech his toes in the right position and immediately fold the two sides of tape over the foot?

It is easier done when moving him slightly backwards helping the toes to get streched by the backwards move on the cardbord.

You can also use a bigger piece of thin cardboard and cut it to the right sizes after fixing the feet on top.
He’s just too small. We can’t hold him still enough without hurting him. It’s a button quail.

What if I don’t plan on breeding him? These are just pets.

I posted a picture above. Both his feet are like this. Can he live a normal life with toes curled this bad? I plan on trying to fix them when he’s bigger if I can.
You're going to want to try to fix the feet. While *yes* he could get along with them like that, very likely he'll end up with sores on his toes. Get the B-complex into him daily, but work on the feet.
I raise Coturnix Quail, which are of course larger than Buttons but I can understand what a challenge it must be to try to hold such a tiny chick and make corrections. Quail are incredibly fast, squiggly and wiggly, I must say, they are a zoomier and crazier compared to chicken chicks. Sit down at the table with your supplies laid out, let him stand on his own and see if he will calm down long enough for you to work on him.

Are the toes genetic? Possibly.
I realize you have 8 others and hopefully you have a nice mix of males and females to choose from. I still would not use this chick for breeding, even if you are able to correct the feet.
If you keep him/her for a pet, that's well and good, lots of people do, but you will want to house him or her separately with a pal (or 2) that you don't plan on breeding. Eggs of course can be eaten or used how you choose, just don't hatch from that group/pen.

Keep the best/most vigorous male and females for breeding together, if that's your goal. Or have a few breeding groups. A lot really depends on your goals.

Consider the valid points that @Florida Bullfrog has made, you don't want to end up with problems within your coveys right off the bat.

Just an update for you guys… the chick developed spraddle leg so we decided to cull. We also culled the other one who had crooked feet because he was also developing spraddle even though I’ve had them on paper towels. Only one other quail has crooked toes but he seems to be thriving.

Back
Top Bottom