Culling…

Today I had to use the cervical dislocation method on my rooster. This is the first time I’ve done it and I feel really bad, traumatized even. If you’ve killed a chicken before, how do you cope with it? I can’t stop thinking about it.
Takes time. My first time it was a cockerels that I raised from hatch. He was the best. But he was a terror to all of the pullets and kept trying to fight the othe cockerel. The day of the culling was the worse. But after a month or so I didn’t think about it much. :hugs:hugs

Know that everyone experience varying degrees of emotional distress with there first culling. But time will heal those thoughts even though it seems awful right now. The benefit of your action was to create a calm flock which is more important.

Today I had to use the cervical dislocation method on my rooster. This is the first time I’ve done it and I feel really bad, traumatized even. If you’ve killed a chicken before, how do you cope with it? I can’t stop thinking about it.
How did you get on with cervical dislocation? Did you find the method easy?

This is probably going to seem rather strange but eating the dead bird can help.
Like it or not we are by nature an omnivorous creature and until a system was developed where others killed out food for us, having to kill through hunting or farming was common.
The huge disadvantage in my opinion of the modern system of food supply, particulary when it comes to meat is we have become divorced from the reality of where our meat comes from and insensitive to it's keeping conditions. In part this has led to the over consumption of meat. There are not usually feeling of remorse or guilt from eating a prepackaged piece of meat bought from a supermarket.
If people had to kill the meat they eat perhaps we as a species would have more respect for the creatures we eat and treat them better while they are alive.
Eat the rooster and be thankfull for what he has provided for you.

What was the reason you culled him?

Usually, seeing the peace in the flock restored helps to overcome the guilt.
I culled him because he was grabbing the necks of my pullets and not letting go. It would end up with them screaming. If I wanted to keep him he wouldn’t be able to fertilize any eggs because he’s a cross beak.

How did you get on with cervical dislocation? Did you find the method easy?

This is probably going to seem rather strange but eating the dead bird can help.
Like it or not we are by nature an omnivorous creature and until a system was developed where others killed out food for us, having to kill through hunting or farming was common.
The huge disadvantage in my opinion of the modern system of food supply, particulary when it comes to meat is we have become divorced from the reality of where our meat comes from and insensitive to it's keeping conditions. In part this has led to the over consumption of meat. There are not usually feeling of remorse or guilt from eating a prepackaged piece of meat bought from a supermarket.
If people had to kill the meat they eat perhaps we as a species would have more respect for the creatures we eat and treat them better while they are alive.
Eat the rooster and be thankfull for what he has provided for you.
Cervical dislocation was pretty easy, but I was kind of shocked because it just happened. Unfortunately I already burned him.

Back
Top Bottom