Cultured buttermilk for fermenting???

tommysgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 18, 2012
I bought a quart of buttermilk that said "cultured" on the carton. Then re-read the fermenting instructions and they said "Make sure it has live cultures" I searched the label and found no reference to live culture so now I don't know if it will hurt or help to add it. My fermentation is going slowly since I am doing it in the feed shed and the weather has been cool/cold Still no bubbles on day 3. Should I go ahead and pour some in?

Last edited:
I say go for it, add a few tablesoons; although if the temperature is below 50 degrees, your feed will be very slow to ferment, regardless.

I have used buttermilk, kefir, ACV, and nothing to ferment feed, and they all worked equally well, as long as it was warm enough to ferment. Also stirring the feed at least once a day seems to get things fermenting more quickly.

I hope this helps!

I say go for it, add a few tablesoons; although if the temperature is below 50 degrees, your feed will be very slow to ferment, regardless.

I have used buttermilk, kefir, ACV, and nothing to ferment feed, and they all worked equally well, as long as it was warm enough to ferment. Also stirring the feed at least once a day seems to get things fermenting more quickly.

I hope this helps!

X2

I can't find 'cultured' buttermilk at any of the stores with live cultures. I did find kefir with 12 types of live bacteria and I use that, Plain yogurt would work too.
The buttermilk you have won't hurt it though. It will just add some protein and calcium.
There's a probiotic powder formulated for chickens called Gro2Max and I use a little of that too. A little goes a long way.
I have to keep my FF on the heated porch or it would freeze and kill all the good stuff.

Let us know how your chickens like it!

Just remember: when your ferment really gets going, it will produce a grey or white film over the top. This is the SCOBY and it's a good thing. If you get fuzz on the top, that's mold. The first time my feed built up a good SCOBY I freaked out. Now I just stir it in and feed it out.

I also add BOSS and alfalfa cubes for my adult birds. They gobble it down like it's candy!

thanks so much. When I went out this morning and released the lid there was the unmistakable Fizz and it was bubbling away. Added the buttermilk anyway and gave it a good stir. I will start them on it this afternoon. Thanks for the additional advice. I sprout BOSS sometimes for them. Is it better to give it to them in the FF? I like the idea of adding alfalfa cubes esp during molting.

thanks so much. When I went out this morning and released the lid there was the unmistakable Fizz and it was bubbling away. Added the buttermilk anyway and gave it a good stir. I will start them on it this afternoon. Thanks for the additional advice. I sprout BOSS sometimes for them. Is it better to give it to them in the FF? I like the idea of adding alfalfa cubes esp during molting.

I dont' think you want to use a sealed lid on your FF container. For two reasons: 1. as you noticed it builds up pressure, if you get a really warm day where it really starts to crank you could pop the lid off or bust the container and make a serious mess. 2. Without a lid you will get airborne bacteria in there which will help with your fermentation on it's own, I don't think you need any starter culture just leave the lid off and you will get bacteria growth without adding a starter, it will just take longer to get going.

I dont' think you want to use a sealed lid on your FF container. For two reasons: 1. as you noticed it builds up pressure, if you get a really warm day where it really starts to crank you could pop the lid off or bust the container and make a serious mess. 2. Without a lid you will get airborne bacteria in there which will help with your fermentation on it's own, I don't think you need any starter culture just leave the lid off and you will get bacteria growth without adding a starter, it will just take longer to get going.

Thanks for that. There is certainly stuff happening now. I would hate to have an explosion.

Back
Top Bottom