d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Lucy and Penny are both examples of birds who appear very white now due to their large spots, though I must admit, I love that coloring, correct or not. In the photo below, Carly on left, Penny on right, a good comparison of the different size spots. Both are 3 years old.

I like the lighter colored ones too
big_smile.png
All phases of the MFs are pretty so pretty!

This is my five month old.

Rusty wanted his picture taken too. Funny bird kept walking in front of me and looking up like he was waiting on me to take his picture.

Last edited:
If she's still young it can change a lot. Mottled can be a pain on the rear to get to come out right. Should be all black with each single feather tipped in white to be perfect. While young they can look a mess. Best to have lightly mottled young as just like milles, they will add to the white area as they mature . hard to get a good feel for an individual bird til they are around a year old

If she's still young it can change a lot. Mottled can be a pain on the rear to get to come out right. Should be all black with each single feather tipped in white to be perfect. While young they can look a mess. Best to have lightly mottled young as just like milles, they will add to the white area as they mature . hard to get a good feel for an individual bird til they are around a year old
Ok thanks

Interesting behavior from Aimee and Mina, both of whom are now clucking, but neither of whom have sat on eggs during the day. At night, they are both sitting in nests surrounded by Maura's three chicks, who are 3 weeks old. Maura has been shunned by Carly and Penny, whose four chicks are a week older than hers, so she can't get near them to mother them much during the day and not at all at night. Maura roosts with the other adults at night while her mother, Mina, and Aunt Aimee keep her chicks warm. It's crazy to see two hens who really aren't broody adopt three 3 week old chicks. Penny and Carly will allow Mina to mother their chicks as well and sit with them, but they refuse to allow Maura to get close. Nutty as heck. Mina is mille and Maura is porcelain so maybe they are tiny bigots, LOL. Maura's babies have been adopted by the flock, generally, so they go to whomever is available if they need some comfort.

Back
Top Bottom