Dark colored comb on 12 week Blue australorp?

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
This little pullet has a dark colored comb. Is this normal for blue colored birds? She acts totally fine. The rest of my flock has lighter colored combs. Does this look ok?
6FF19F8C-EC1A-435C-B79B-2DA390BC7426_1_105_c.jpeg

Genetically a blue colored bird is black with the blue genetics modifying the black feathers to look blue. It's not unusual for a black feathered bird to have pigment that colors skin or combs to look black. Nothing unusual about that color on the comb at all.

How old is that bird? There are many features that say it is probably a girl, but with those pink wattles, curving tail feathers, and some saddle and hackle feathers that look kind of pointed I'm not 100% sure it is a girl.

Genetically a blue colored bird is black with the blue genetics modifying the black feathers to look blue. It's not unusual for a black feathered bird to have pigment that colors skin or combs to look black. Nothing unusual about that color on the comb at all.

How old is that bird? There are many features that say it is probably a girl, but with those pink wattles, curving tail feathers, and some saddle and hackle feathers that look kind of pointed I'm not 100% sure it is a girl.
She’s 12 weeks. I guess we shall see!

Hey, is it normal for light sussex to have this grey coloured comb also? Mine are 6w along and I often come across this with my young ones and wonder what causes it

Back
Top Bottom