Day 17 and egg MOVED! unplug egg turner? HELP!!!!

Critter Crazed

Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
It's day 17 incubating my 11 silkie eggs. Tomorrow, well later today at 3 PM actually I was going to get the egg turner out of the incubator because it would be day 18. But I was just checking on the eggs and one of them was MOVING! I've heard that if you turn an egg that's moving you can kill it so should I unplug the egg turner? Or leave it on? I don't think I see any other eggs moving but it's so hard to see. And the one that I did see move was one of the smaller ones that didn't fit that well into the egg cups, the others fit into them pretty snugly.

I'm a beginner at this and I'm worried! PLEASE help!

I would carefully remove the egg turner and carefully place all of the eggs in an egg carton in the incubator... pointy end down of course.

I usually cut out the bottoms of the cartons and around the sides so the shell can breath.

Last edited:
Oh my.. I don't have an egg carton..
I was just planning on laying them on their sides..
Is that okay?

And thank you SO MUCH for the reply!

Moving isn't too terribly big of a deal, but you should never open the bator with a pipped egg. Usually when they start moving pips are close behind, which is why it's a VERY good idea to be quick about whatever you need to do!!! Remove the egg turner, they can get their legs stuck in it after they hatch. Some use cartons (like Mahonri said) others don't. I've heard mixed stories about both. Good luck, and keep everyone updated!!!

Okay I have removed the egg turner, unplugged the last vent plug and added a dixie cup of water in there to increase humidity because I don't have any sponges. I was going to go buy some tomorrow.

fl.gif
:fl I hope I did everything right...
fl.gif

It's okay the humidty is around 65-70% now. And we see a few eggs moving!!! We meaning me and my sister. It's so exciting!

Now I'm wondering if I should go and get some sponges tomorrow or to just leave the dixie cup in there...

Back
Top Bottom