Day 25, should I help? VERY URGENT

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hey everybody, I'm gonna make this brief because I'm in a hurry, but I had a broody mom sit on 6 eggs, 5 hatched 2 days ago (on day 23!) and at this point we are on day 25 and I've got a chick that hadn't broken the egg, but is alive. So I've broken into the air cell but every time I touch the membrane it starts to bleed. The chick is chirping and acting fairly normal, so I really don't want to let it die. These are regular chicken eggs, so they should have hatched between day 20 and 22. What would you do?

Leave it. If there is blood, it is not ready at all. Where is the egg now? Under momma hen?
Momma hen is losing interest, her chicks have been hatched for two days, so she's ready to leave the nest with her 5. I'm just keeping it in the warm living room by the wood stove.

I figured the blood meant helping was a no go, I'm just getting anxious as it is on day 25. I'll leave it for a few hours and see what happens.

ohh mama hen. sorry, eggs were probably added after she started sitting them
I let her sit on fake eggs for 3 days to make sure she was serious about this, and then gave her the eggs all on the same evening, and marked them with a pencil so I knew which ones to take out if a regular egg accidentally got laid. So I'm 97% sure that it was added the same day as everyone else.

unless you have an incubator or another hen willing to sit Im afraid theres not a lot you can do that your not already doing. Try to keep it as close as you can to 99.5 wet sponge ..

unless you have an incubator or another hen willing to sit Im afraid theres not a lot you can do that your not already doing. Try to keep it as close as you can to 99.5 wet sponge ..
:goodpost: Can you find a way to get humidity up around her? Wood heat is a dry heat, not good for eggs. At this point I'd say forget ventilation; find a small box and put her in with a damp sponge and a thermometer. Don't get the actual egg wet. That's bad.

:goodpost: Can you find a way to get humidity up around her? Wood heat is a dry heat, not good for eggs. At this point I'd say forget ventilation; find a small box and put her in with a damp sponge and a thermometer. Don't get the actual egg wet. That's bad.
How about saran wrap over the box w/ a couple holes poked in ?

Back
Top Bottom