day old chick falling over/can't keep balance

heksa

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Indiana
One of the chicks (polish) that hatched over the weekend cannot walk. Its legs look fine and seem strong.
The chick is not able to stand up and keep balance. It lays on the side and chirps until I pick it up, or throws itself from side to side.

It hatched a day before due date (day 20), but my chicks always do and all other 12 are perfectly fine. This one was last and when I found it it was laying on its back and all others were picking at it. It seems very alert and feisty now. Just cannot stand up and is not happy lying down either.

I put it overnight in the cup so it would work on its leg muscles, but that didn't seem to help. Besides its legs seem very stroneg when it pushes against my hand.

I'm afraid it may be neurological. Is there any hope? Will vitamins help with that?
What should I do?

:(

One of the chicks (polish) that hatched over the weekend cannot walk. Its legs look fine and seem strong.
The chick is not able to stand up and keep balance. It lays on the side and chirps until I pick it up, or throws itself from side to side.

It hatched a day before due date (day 20), but my chicks always do and all other 12 are perfectly fine. This one was last and when I found it it was laying on its back and all others were picking at it. It seems very alert and feisty now. Just cannot stand up and is not happy lying down either.

I put it overnight in the cup so it would work on its leg muscles, but that didn't seem to help. Besides its legs seem very stroneg when it pushes against my hand.

I'm afraid it may be neurological. Is there any hope? Will vitamins help with that?
What should I do?

:(
http://www.bluequaker.com/Art-037.htm

I hoped it was some leg deformity (that could be fixed). But the legs look fine, they don't stick out in different direction and seem strong. It can push itself out of the cup and all. It looks to me that its brain cannot figure out how to keep balance.

seems there are a lot of people who have seen this but dont know what to call it or what the problem is... some say that the baby just might be slow to learning how to get on its feet some say that the neck muscles are not developed yet and that cause problem with bird standing... pick the bird up and let the legs hang and make sure they look straight and nothing out of place or bowed

Off topic, sort of, to all th wise hatckers, i have a crooked footed chick from the incubator surging and cooking most the hatch.! Its legs work when i put it on its back but not well? Thoughts? On the malnurished chick, ive been able to keep this one alive by dropper feeding it diluted buck wheat honey, in hot water, teaspoon to probly a quarter cup, its just like adrenile to it.

Thanks guys, I sort of assumed spraddle legs, put the wrap around them and stuck the chick in the cup again. I purchased the vitamins, tried to feed it to the chick with water, but am not sure how much the chick took. I don't want to drawn it. It was not interested in drinking by itself but did peck some food. Don't know. I'm hopeful. Still.

Back
Top Bottom