Day old chicks and broody question TIME SENSITIVE!

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
So today is the 21st day my BO hen has been broody.
Unfortunately I was out of town when this started so I wasn't able to get any fertile eggs under her.
But at my local feed store this morning they had 24 hour old Red Silkies from Ideal Poultry and since today is when fertile eggs WOULD have hatched and they were adorable I bought three.
They are currently in a cardboard box under a light with food and water but my question is what is the best way to introduce them to the hen?
I have heard that it is best to slip them under her at night but at what time at night?
I wasn't expecting to do this so my broody is mixed in with two other chickens in a 4x4 coop/tractor with a 4x10 run.
Would it be better tonight to bring the chicks into the the tractor or bring the hen into the house/garage for a few days?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
I will also update with pics as soon as I can
big_smile.png

Try it a couple hours after she goes to sleep. For the chick's safety, it would be best to have the hen separate, but I am not sure if it would disrupt her broodiness by bringing her inside.

I think I'll leave them in the coop at least for tonight to see if she takes them in.
How will I know in the morning if she has accepted or rejected them?

Well, I'd say if they are following her around, she accepted them, if they are dead, she didn't.

I put them under her last night but so far only one has come out to get a drink before going right back under.
How long does it normally take for them all to come out looking for food/water?
They were eating and drinking a lot yesterday during the day.

So they started coming out on their own to eat and drink.
Everyone appears in good health and spirits.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
She still has that broody zombie look but she'll be up and about in a couple of days. It takes them a little time to snap out of it and be an active mom. Everyone looks good!

Back
Top Bottom