De-thatching by goose

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
20230915_132523.jpg

New behavior this year, the geese are digging up the meadow. Before on the right, after on the left. (Hopefully visible despite being on the tree shade line.) Anyone have experience with this? This is a stunted area, so I'm hoping it'll trigger a new variety of growth.

View attachment 3636379

New behavior this year, the geese are digging up the meadow. Before on the right, after on the left. (Hopefully visible despite being on the tree shade line.) Anyone have experience with this? This is a stunted area, so I'm hoping it'll trigger a new variety of growth.
Are they just digging? I don't have geese, but my ducks do it by accident when just being ducks. My chickens do it to cause grief though

Definitely deliberate, systematic excavation in a single patch. There isn't much there except for short meadow grass rarely mixed with a single dryland flower variety (pussytoes?). Even dandelions won't grow there so the only root hunting would be the grass... or all the rocks.

Definitely deliberate, systematic excavation in a single patch. There isn't much there except for short meadow grass rarely mixed with a single dryland flower variety (pussytoes?). Even dandelions won't grow there so the only root hunting would be the grass... or all the rocks.
I wonder if they're looking for tender parts to eat.

The only time my geese rip out roots is when the roots are so loose to begin with that they cant help it . they dont do it deliberately.. it looks like they are genuinely trying to eat the grass but the roots just come out . so idk why your geese would do that hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom