dead chick

New chicken family

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Madison WI
We lost our first Buff Oroington pullet when she was just 1 week old. OK, that I can handle. But now we lost another BO pullet at 2 1/2 weeks. They all were doing great until yesterday when we noticed that one was listless. We held her to keep her warm, fed her allittle plain yogut and some pedi-a-lyte. When I felt her she was just skin and bones. So I am sure she was not eating for days..... She also had red/orange mucsuosy stool. Is that coccidosis? We cleaned the cage, I change and wash the waterer daily, and started the rest of our pullets on medicated feed just in case. Now that we have started them on medcated feed - must i contunue with it? Or can I stop it later? I want hormone- and antibiotic-free eggs - that's whay we got chickens!!!!

Help!
This is really hard on the kids.

Thanks.

In my opinion, medicated chick starter is a darned good thing...It will help to prevent cocci infections. Bloody looking stools in chicks usually is cocci. How old are your other birds? Medicated Chick Starter should be for Chicks only. When you switch them to grower pellets, then medicated shouldn't be necessary.

Use raw unfiltered aple cider vinegar in their water, if they have runny stools feed a little steamed rice with the feed it helps to make the stools solid, like a mature chicken.

Please Read:
http://www.cagenbird.com/vinegar.htm

Why Vinegar? Because it can be used medicinally, gets rid of poisons in the body, has disinfecting and cleaning properties and is a natural, nontoxic, biodegradable substance. That is, vinegar is an unadulterated food, a powerful cleansing agent and healing elixir---a naturally occurring antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria. We would be smart to make use of vinegar in our own lives and in our avian nurseries and breeding facilities. --- For a healthier, stronger, longer life for our animals and ourselves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom