Dead Chicken

rcravey

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Central Texas
I discovered one of my chicken's dead this evening. She is one that was the most dominant. Her neck was floppy (broken neck?) and she had a few dried blood spots on her but no apparant wounds. She was laying under a roost so we wonder if she jumped up and hit the roost and it somehow broke her neck. The first chicken we had that died had a floppy neck also so maybe this is just how they are. There was another chicken tonight who had blood on her back where she had been pecked on. What do you think caused the death? Could she have been picking on one of the chickens and they faught back?

So sorry about your lost. :hugs :hugs

Did you check her neck or jugular for wounds? A night predator could of been involved...
Thank you. There were no apparent wounds, just a few small spots of dried blood (as if maybe some of the others had pecked on her at some point). Their coop is very predator proof, especially at night.

I discovered one of my chicken's dead this evening. She is one that was the most dominant. Her neck was floppy (broken neck?) and she had a few dried blood spots on her but no apparant wounds. She was laying under a roost so we wonder if she jumped up and hit the roost and it somehow broke her neck. The first chicken we had that died had a floppy neck also so maybe this is just how they are. There was another chicken tonight who had blood on her back where she had been pecked on. What do you think caused the death? Could she have been picking on one of the chickens and they faught back?
So sorry for your loss you should’ve tried and looking all over soemtimes cause of death isn’t apparent and I believe droopy neck is normal depending how fresh the corpse is of course but there’s lots of reasons she could’ve died fighting could’ve also been one

Back
Top Bottom