Dead chickens need help

Allilo

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
We had 21 chickens, 4 of which were not quite full sized. We recently pit the small chickens with the big chickens. Over the course of the last we have had 1 small chicken and 2 big chickens dead in the coup. They appeared to be pecked and the big ones had purple on their comb.( The small one was perfectly healthy) We have also had a fly problem in the coup but put up fly traps, i dont know if that contributed. As well has having many broken or weak eggs, and having one chicken with crazy eyes.
( I dont know if this was the start of the problem, but all but a couple chickens have freathers pecked out, but we have been using a healing spray. And up until now they were doing better.)

How old were the small chickens when you put them with the older ones?

Are you talking about the dead chickens appearing to be pecked? Or were your live chickens being pecked?

Were the purple combs purple on the big chickens before you found them dead or after? Were these chickens behaving normally before they were found dead?

Did you examine the dead chickens for flystrike? That would be a condition where the flies laid eggs on the live chickens, maggots hatched and ate their way into the chicken's interior body. Have you checked over your live chickens for maggots?

"Many broken or weak eggs". This needs to be explained. When? What? Where? How?

"Crazy eyes". You need to describe the eyes. "Crazy" means different things to different people and does not describe a physical feature.

"Feathers pecked out". Did this happen before you found the dead chickens or after? Were they bloody? Large bald areas?

How old were the small chickens when you put them with the older ones?

Are you talking about the dead chickens appearing to be pecked? Or were your live chickens being pecked?

Were the purple combs purple on the big chickens before you found them dead or after? Were these chickens behaving normally before they were found dead?

Did you examine the dead chickens for flystrike? That would be a condition where the flies laid eggs on the live chickens, maggots hatched and ate their way into the chicken's interior body. Have you checked over your live chickens for maggots?

"Many broken or weak eggs". This needs to be explained. When? What? Where? How?

"Crazy eyes". You need to describe the eyes. "Crazy" means different things to different people and does not describe a physical feature.

"Feathers pecked out". Did this happen before you found the dead chickens or after? Were they bloody? Large bald areas?
The chickens are a half a year old when we put them in. The living chickens have feathers pecked off their back and thier combs were purple before, but only the 2 that died had purple combs before. My small one was perfectly healthy and the bog one sat in the nesting box all the time. None of the live chickens have maggots. When i would go to collect their eggs they would be already broken or when i picked them up they would break. By crazy eyes i mean its pupils are larger then normal and it looks like its gone insane. The big dead chickens had previous bald spots from being peck earlier, bit my small chicken had been pecked at after death.

How hot does your coop get? Is it located in direct sun? Does it have windows or vents that are open in summer?

Has it been very rainy and wet?

What country do you live in?

How hot does your coop get? Is it located in direct sun? Does it have windows or vents that are open in summer?

Has it been very rainy and wet?

What country do you live in?
The coop has a window that stays open and they have a lot of shaded area. It is shaded by the barn so it only gets direct sunlight a couple hours a day. It rained once last week and i live in eastern united states

Back
Top Bottom