Dead cochin

Kitsune

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Manchester - England
I've been away for a week, got back late last night and have been busy all day studying (my final exam tomorrow) I noticed one of the cochins was a little listless, but it didn't seem urgent, whenever I went out to see them it perked up and scooted off along with the rest.

Just heard the other cochin calling and went outside to find the little black one lying dead in the run. I picked it up, just starting to stiffen and a whole load of greenish clear liquid poured from it's nose.

any ideas? I am looking for a vet closeby that will do a relatively cheap PM, if I can't find one I'm going to see if I can find the site that had info on doing a home PM.

any clues would be good.

Sorry no clue, but had to post my condolences for your loss.
hugs.gif

Best of luck in finding out what happened and hope it doesn't affect the rest of your flock!

Ok this is what I have from the necropsy

I have taken pictures throughout but obviously they are a bit gory so if anyone thinks they can help with added pictures shoot me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send through the ones you want to see.

there seemed to be white dot like lesions on the mucous membranes of the mouth
the crop was full of soured food and air
the heart was white on the outside, inside (no pics) the chambers didn't look right, they seemed far too small
there were white lesions similar to the ones in the mouth on the liver
air sacs and lungs looked good except a fresh blood clot in the lung on one side
GI tract looked good from the outside
proventriculus was filled with smelly goo and the attached organ (not sure what it is) was also filled with lesions when cut open
The duodenal loop was filled with brown chyme turning green just past the loop
the rest of the intestines looked good inside and out
L kidney looked slightly swolled but it could have just been pulled when I took out the intestines
Not sure what the ovaries of an immature chicken are supposed to be like but they looked good to me
cloacal bursa was fine outside, possibly same lesions inside or could be the way it's supposed to look

I had a look through the necropsy chart but all it seemed to come up with was blue comb which is a turkey disease.

Could sour crop cause all the lesions that I saw? or are the white dots on the mucous membranes normal for a cochin?

yes, I found the site, is there a place to post links on this forum?

I've also had a look through the pictures, those white dotty lesions are seriously everywhere, they show up much better in the pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom