Dealing with a hawk problem .?

I lost my FAVORITE Khaki Campbell drake to a hawk last winter. The hawk had perched on a low branch when I discovered the kill. It didn't even fly away as I as picking up the remains and waving my arms around. Let me tell you, I WILL get my shotgun out and kill a hawk if I need to (yes, I live in the boonies and no near neighbors.) The hawk stayed near for days following the kill. We completely covered the run and got a replacement drake, but nothing will ever replace Frank, our beloved drake. I think winter time hawks are more desperate for food perhaps? With that said, make sure you have a covered run as I have also lost a buff duck to a hawk too. You can sleep in peace at night knowing your ducks are covered all the way around with ALL the protection needed to make sure they are safe. Please don't think just because you are in the city, you are free of predators. Coons, dogs, cats, hawks, owls, unruly children, unruly adults, can and will kill your ducks if they so desire.

Last edited:
That is a federal crime and me being a falconer I would call the dnr and police so whoever shot a hawk or owl ends up in federal prison
shotgun

(edit) if you cant fire a gun where you live , get a bb gun a good one and de-hawk your neighborhood , thats what id do

just dont shoot the owl lol, check with your local laws and make sure you wont go to prison for it first
[/quote

Last edited:
Yes sadly its a federal crime to harass any BOP by shooting trapping or poisoning ( last two horribly inhumane), unlike any other animal that can be reported as nuisance then warranted to kill. sadly some will report you for protecting your own, and state feds do patrol this site and others for those admiting or threatening to do harm even to BOPs, and can fine, freeze accounts and assets, take property, and jail you for i was a falconer, and have great love of them, but if a bop attacks my stock, my dogs cats and OEGs (was doing gamecock rescue rehab and rehoming and found once soon reconditioned, they made great guardians and pets in flock), will tear them to shreds, if i cannot save them. heard a pair of geese, some guinea, or a turkey, would work well also, if hung up on stigma of games (i find them better brooder mothers than silkies and cochins even though, as gentle to any young but fight to death to defend harder than cocks even). also an old buddy of mine recommended using a paintball gun, as he did with red paintball rounds or pepper balk rounds.. non lethal and he never had a BOP come back twice he said.

Last edited:
Yes sadly its a federal crime to harass any BOP by shooting trapping or poisoning ( last two horribly inhumane), unlike any other animal that can be reported as nuisance then warranted to kill. sadly some will report you for protecting your own, and state feds do patrol this site and others for those admiting or threatening to do harm even to BOPs, and can fine, freeze accounts and assets, take property, and jail you for i was a falconer, and have great love of them, but if a bop attacks my stock, my dogs cats and OEGs (was doing gamecock rescue rehab and rehoming and found once soon reconditioned, they made great guardians and pets in flock), will tear them to shreds, if i cannot save them. heard a pair of geese, some guinea, or a turkey, would work well also, if hung up on stigma of games (i find them better brooder mothers than silkies and cochins even though, as gentle to any young but fight to death to defend harder than @#!*% even). also an old buddy of mine recommended using a paintball gun, as he did with red paintball rounds or pepper balk rounds.. non lethal and he never had a BOP come back twice he said.

I have a "bird bomb" gun (used by many ranchers to protect crops) that I could use. I also have a potato gun...lol.

Back
Top Bottom