Decapitated Bunny- What is the predator? Should I be worried?

What animal?

• Fisher cat/ Weasel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawk

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Owl

• Fox

• Skunk

• Other

• Racoon

• *raccoon

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ClucksAndCombs

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
New England
Hello everyone!

Just was outside taking pictures of the signs of spring today when I fell upon a sad sight. I saw a fluffy head of a baby bunny laying on the ground. No blood, no body. I didn't move it but I didn't see any scratches. RIP little bunny. But with eight backyard hens and six 12-week old pullets that free-range sometimes, I would like to know the predator. I am thinking of fisher cat, but we have had sightings of fox, owls, coywolves (last year) skunks, and hawks recently. I haven't seen a fisher cat since they killed my first flock in 2010.

For some extra information, I live in a woods of New England. There is a red-tailed hawk's nest nearby, as well as merlins. I can upload a picture of the bunny if needed.

Thanks!

Not enough info to make call. Fox will dehead large prey items when in a hurry and discard head. Great-horned and will generally consume the head first.
Yeah the owl here has done both. It ate the head off my chickens and a few ducks but left the bodies. (We've got dogs and cats who chase it off) and then it's done the opposite where it just left the head and a huge mess.

I have 4 bunnies in hutches in the yard. For a year they have been in Fort Knox. I'm expanding their runs and incorporating them into the chicken/duck enclosure. I would be interested in knowing if a raccoon or skunk would do this.

Update for you all:

Found two new bunny heads on a rock. ( edit: BY a rock- I moved them on top for better lighting- so no, a crazy person is not decapitating baby bunnies xD- I hope) Guessing her sister was eaten as well. This time, I found two hind legs nearby, which is great, because it really changes things.

These pictures are a little graphic, I may add. (also, sorry, one is out of focus)

Attachments

• DSC_0255.JPG
    DSC_0255.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0256.JPG
    DSC_0256.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0257.JPG
    DSC_0257.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Back