Deep Litter Method on concrete

HCBeck

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2019
Maryland
I'm in Central Maryland and about to start building my run. The only available place in my yard is an 8' x 22' strip of concrete. My coop is a converted wood storage shed that is 5' x 8'. I don't have great drainage in that area but will be implementing some plans including a perforated drain that should help (but maybe not totally solve) rainwater collecting on parts of the pad. The coop right now has a wood floor about 6" off the ground. I wanted to remove that floor and have the litter start on the ground (with dirt from my yard as the base) so that there is a natural lip at the doorway. My husband thinks I should leave the elevated wood floor and add a board to hold in the litter because water will seep in the sides and sweep away bedding or just make it a wet mess. One of my concerns is that it will be too much for me to try to climb in there to scrape poop boards or whatever I might have to do. Anyone able to chime in with some concrete deep litter method experience?

I would keep the wood floor. I just added a 2x8 across the threshold. I honestly think deep litter is a method that is more effective for a larger area like the run. I use deep bedding with chips in a larger coop and it stays pretty clean, except for under the roost. If you have poop boards, that problem is pretty much solved

My husband thinks I should leave the elevated wood floor and add a board to hold in the litter because water will seep in the sides and sweep away bedding or just make it a wet mess.
Agrees...keep the coop bedding dry.
Deep litter may or may not work on the concrete....drainage is most important.
If the concrete pad holds water now...how will you change that...will the run have a solid roof??

One of my concerns is that it will be too much for me to try to climb in there to scrape poop boards or whatever I might have to do.
Can you post some pics?

Agrees...keep the coop bedding dry.
Deep litter may or may not work on the concrete....drainage is most important.
If the concrete pad holds water now...how will you change that...will the run have a solid roof??

Can you post some pics?

Thank you all for your input! We've decided we needed to change the design of the coop so that it will be elevated so my only option then is a wood floor with linoleum. Which is fine. I'll do my best at DLM in the coop because I love the idea of the heat helping to warm the coop in the winter. I'm also planning on DLM in the run which will be covered with a sloping roof and gutters. It drains pretty well but not perfectly and we've been getting a lot of rain over the past 12 months in Maryland where I live so I'll just keep an eye on it and hopefully have success with it. No pics yet, still in the sketch up phase.

I'll do my best at DLM in the coop because I love the idea of the heat helping to warm the coop in the winter.
I'd suggest keeping the DLM in the run...it's next to impossible to actually create heat from composting DLM in a raised coop and the needed moisture is a detriment to the coop air quality in the winter(frostbite).

I'd suggest keeping the DLM in the run...it's next to impossible to actually create heat from composting DLM in a raised coop and the needed moisture is a detriment to the coop air quality in the winter(frostbite).
So you're telling me there's a chance... :)

So you're telling me there's a chance... :)
Possible....if you're a very skilled composter..... but highly, highly improbable.
I'd strongly advise against it.....just because of the moisture involved.
Any heat generated would be made moot by the year round ventilation you'll need to get rid of the moisture just from poop and respiration. Not cold enough where you are to need heat anyway(except maybe for waterer heater), but frostbite can still be a concern. JHMO.

Back
Top Bottom