Deep litter method

Dry Dry Dry. Some people that water there chickens in the coop will even put a small metal pan under the water to catch any spillage. After time this may rot a wood floor. No problem if you have concrete or hard pack dirt. We don't water in the coop, but we always make sure to let them out every morning plenty early. We do feed them in the coop as we find they will forage more free ranging if there food is not out for them to see.

Chris

Foghorn, I have an 8x8 coop and initially put in a 3.something cu ft bale of shavings and it covered several inches deep. I just rake occasionally so it mixes together and add DE so it will dry better and quicker. No probs.
smile.png

teapot.gif

I've got a few deep litter questions:

1) What's the other option if you don't do deep litter?
2) What is the cut off from something being "deep litter" and not?
3) I put in about 2 inches of shavings and rake / mix them up as the top gets soiled. After the shavings get pretty gunky I put a new layer of about 1 inch. When the top gets soiled I rake / mix the whole pile. After the mixed shavings get pretty gunky I put a new layer of about 1 inch and repeat the process. Is this deep litter?

I also use the deep method, pine shavings over a wood floor.

I put in a new layer in spring to get rid of the winter stuff.
In fall I put in a new 6" (at least) layer so I know that it is dry as well as thick enough to help keep them warmer.

As to keeping it stirred up, I toss in stale bread, etc. and they make sure they get that last bit, thus stirring it up very nicely.
smile.png

Been doing that for years, they are happy and so am I.

I keep the water outside in the run so it will not cause any dampness in the coop. Not that these ladies would ever make a mess.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Foghorn,

You are welcome.

I keep all my egg shells in an ice cream bucket in the house to add to, as I use them. When it is full (and all dry) I mash it down and toss that on the shavings. These fall under the shavings and they really want them so they gotta dig for 'em!

Those spoilt things know when it is bread or their favorites...stale doughnuts!
lol.png

Last edited:
I use the deep litter method also. Easiest way to keep a coop. To avoid water spillage I use two small areas indoors that are old wood boxes filled with gravel that I sit waterers on. It drains through the gravel and leaves the surrounding litter dry.

Chickens do all the hard work of keeping the bedding turned. I add DE and some wood ash from the fireplace to the mix. Never have had mite or worm problems by doing this. My uncle used to throw popcorn in the coops periodically also. His chickens went nuts for it.

CCBEAR I notice you are in the boundary country. I am just outside of Christina Lake.

Just looking to see if my coop is ok! I am using an old shed that's attatched to an old shop, it has a dirt floor in it. I just cleaned the straw out that I put in it last fall. I add some fresh straw every so often, would this be considered the deep litter method? Since it's warmed up a bit I have started watering outside more, but do still have waterer in the coop. Is this ok? I have 22 chickens, and am getting lots of eggs since the weather's warmed up; for example I got 20 eggs today. The building is aprox. 20' x 50' so I know they have plenty of room. Should I be using something else to bed the coop with? The girls seem to like the dirt, as I am letting it dry out. There is just one area that is a little damp.

Sounds like you are using the deep litter method for the most part. I have dirt floors in one coop also. Never had a problem with it.

Straw is fine for bedding.

If you have a damp corner, that is a low spot, just add some gravel to build it up.

You may want to dig some chicken wire in around the outside to keep animals from digging into the coop at night though.

Back
Top Bottom