Deep litter method

Fix the water problem, from overhead(with the roof) and also anything that may be flowing in from the surrounding area. Also look at how any water that does get in the run can drain out somehow.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

full

full
Yes, I firmly believe the run not having a cover/roof is the problem...so if I'm starting out with a basic dirt surface, just start by throwing a good 5ish inches of wood chips, leaves, and such and that should be a good start?

Yes, I firmly believe the run not having a cover/roof is the problem...so if I'm starting out with a basic dirt surface, just start by throwing a good 5ish inches of wood chips, leaves, and such and that should be a good start?
Depends on your goals, the size of your run(a pic would help here), and the number of birds you have.
To break down poops, and ameliorate mud, just a few inches of wood chips will do the job.
Play it by eye...observe and adjust.
If you're wanting to 'make' garden soil, that's a whole other ball game.

Depends on your goals, the size of your run(a pic would help here), and the number of birds you have.
To break down poops, and ameliorate mud, just a few inches of wood chips will do the job.
Play it by eye...observe and adjust.
If you're wanting to 'make' garden soil, that's a whole other ball game.
I don't think I'm at the garden soil bit just yet, going to master this first...will start this in next week and see how it looks! Thanks again!

Building a coop & covered run in Central Coast CA so rain Jan/Feb. Weighing pros and cons of DL with pine shavings/leaves/what's already there vs sand, etc. Was going to enclose under the coop as well. Would cleaning be difficult under there? Have silkies, wyandottes and cochins. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 7
My coop is as simple as possible, with a dirt floor, a long stick for them to roost on and a couple of nesting boxes. If you want to think of it in these terms: It is basically just a covered area of the larger run area that provides shelter, a place to sleep and a "formal" place to lay eggs (they lay eggs wherever they like though:p).

IMG_1234.jpeg
IMG_1236.jpeg
IMG_1234.jpeg IMG_1236.jpeg Everything had been grass prior to this 2 years ago. In the coop itself, I had taken a shovel and dug into and turned over all the grass, threw a ton of different materials in there (pine cones, pine needles, maple leaves, pine shavings, straw), dug it all in and basically just once a week went in with a pitchfork and quickly would turn it all over so the chicken poop was buried.

This entire past fall and winter I completely neglected it and didn't do one single turning over. Two days a go I went in to remove some of the soil for roses I planted and there was zero odor and most of the materials had disintegrated all on their own, without my help.

So I guess my view on you having deep litter under your coop, based on my experience, would be that it would be easy for you to maintain as long as you throw a bunch of stuff under there like I did with my coop.

I am new and am also considering the deep method, however out chickens exit door is just about even with the floor. I am not sure how opening and closing will be hampered by the litter. Would appreciate any and all suggestions.
It definitely will hamper it. How big is the opening? Could you put a board on the inside so material can't fall out and chickens can still get out?

I only have a 3 foot x 8 foot coop but only have 6 birds. I plan to keep 2 more birds for a total of 8. Can I still use the deep method or should I clean out more often because it is a little small? Newbie here and my girls are only 8 weeks old right now.

Back
Top Bottom