Deep litter method

thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif

That run is going to be saturated with wet whether you have DL or not, the only difference is that the DL will wick it down, the soil under it is loose enough to absorb all the moisture due to being covered with DL..... and the alternative is a wet, slick, stinking moonscape with potholes filled with poopy, dirty water and mud galore. Perfect petri dish for harmful pathogens to grow in. And then they track that stuff right back into the coop and it winds up on the eggs. Ick.

Last edited:
:thumbsup   :goodpost:  

That run is going to be saturated with wet whether you have DL or not, the only difference is that the DL will wick it down, the soil under it is loose enough to absorb all the moisture due to being covered with DL..... and the alternative is a wet, slick, stinking moonscape with potholes filled with poopy, dirty water and mud galore.  Perfect petri dish for harmful pathogens to grow in.  And then they track that stuff right back into the coop and it winds up on the eggs.  Ick. 

Ha! "Stinky moonscape" is a great descriptor.

Enjoying a cool one during golden hour with my girls in their not so deep litter. I'm using Aspen shavings and leaves from my yard (well from trees!) I started it after they ate/scratched most of the grass and weeds from the floor of their new hoop house. Picked up more litter on Friday at the feedstore and plan to add it after they go to roost. Heheheeee. It's sounds like having kiddos (once they get to bed you can get stuff done). If it were just the litter I'd add it while they where awake and I know they'd enjoy it but I'm also going to set up their new "adult" feeder and waterer. Most of these chicks are pretty friendly and get underfoot when I try to do things!

I think I'll just see how it goes for now but figured I'd put this out there for those with more experience and those still learning (like me!) about deep litter and hoop coops. Do you think I'll have to slip something between the cattle panel and the hardware cloth to keep from losing to much litter to scratching? I'm enjoying the learning curve as this is my first hoop coop and my first time using deep litter. Thanks!!!

The hardware cloth will likely contain your DL just fine but you can place something there for even better retention if you'd like. I don't have anything on mine and my overlay fencing is just plastic 2x2 mesh and I don't lose any material....but then, my birds aren't in there much due to free ranging all year round and, during the heavy snows when they are inside the coop a lot, I have a clear tarp down over the sides which helps to contain any kicked up DL.

If your hens are confined to this area all the time, you might be wise to place something there to contain litter better and so you can pile it deeper.

The hardware cloth will likely contain your DL  just fine but you can place something there for even better retention if you'd like.  I don't have anything on mine and my overlay fencing is just plastic 2x2 mesh and I don't lose any material....but then, my birds aren't in there much due to free ranging all year round and, during the heavy snows when they are inside the coop a lot, I have a clear tarp down over the sides which helps to contain any kicked up DL. 

If your hens are confined to this area all the time, you might be wise to place something there to contain litter better and so you can pile it deeper.

Yes, they will be in here most of the time. An outdoor run for them is a project for the next month or so but this is their place for now. 8}

Now I have to come up with something that can give me an extra three inches or so of height to contain the bedding. Any ideas?

I use scrap lumber or plastic sheeting for such things...the lumber lasts longer. Some people use flashing, which isn't too expensive, can be found in the right size and will be easy to zip tie to your fencing. Looks good too.

Here's how we buy it from Lowe's...just rolled up and in perfect sizes for use. It's very easy to cut and can be done with just sturdy scissors if you don't have tin snips and it doesn't rust. It would be easy to slide in between your fencing layers or to secure on the inside.

I use scrap lumber or plastic sheeting for such things...the lumber lasts longer. Some people use flashing, which isn't too expensive, can be found in the right size and will be easy to zip tie to your fencing. Looks good too. Here's how we buy it from Lowe's...just rolled up and in perfect sizes for use. It's very easy to cut and can be done with just sturdy scissors if you don't have tin snips and it doesn't rust. It would be easy to slide in between your fencing layers or to secure on the inside.
Thanks again! I knew there had to be something out there that I could just slip in there. I'll make a trip to Home Depot soon before addin the next layer of litter.

Well, I don't think I have good ventillation....I'll have to add some more, but can't do anything until this weekend. Supposed to rain till then...one coop is too wet and smells like ammonia, even tho I'm turning under the roost every other day and leaving the door open as soon as they are done laying in the morning. I've added canning scraps, corn stalks, pine needle and leaves.
Do u think I should just clean it all out and start over? The good thing is that their roost is next to the door that has most of the ventillation and they are fine, no changes in anything with them.
Soooo....what do u think?

Well, I don't think I have good ventillation....I'll have to add some more, but can't do anything until this weekend. Supposed to rain till then...one coop is too wet and smells like ammonia, even tho I'm turning under the roost every other day and leaving the door open as soon as they are done laying in the morning. I've added canning scraps, corn stalks, pine needle and leaves.
Do u think I should just clean it all out and start over? The good thing is that their roost is next to the door that has most of the ventillation and they are fine, no changes in anything with them.
Soooo....what do u think?

If it's been raining the high humidity makes it tough for it dry out. Wait for some drier weather and give it a chance to dry out. Just opening the door during the day might not do it. It needs ventilation 24/7. Vents in the gables or ridge will help warm, moist air rise out and pull in fresh air from vents lower down. It sounds like it could use some absorbent bedding too, like pine shavings. What you've mentioned isn't all that absorbent.

Back
Top Bottom