Delaware - Rooster or Hen? 1 Month Old.

Gritkicker

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I have a Delaware chick that I believed was and was supposed to be a pullet. SHE (I'm in denial at this point) has been looking like all the other chicks in my batch aside from my two OBVIOUSLY Rooster Buff Orpingtons. Today, when I was pulling up to my driveway after coming home from work.. I see my little Buff Rooster and the Delaware squaring up and ...squabbling. They were looking eye to eye and the buff was jumping on HER and pecking at her neck/comb, but she was fighting back try to do the same and losing. I know that hens can and will fight a bit to establish a pecking order, but I don't know if this is the case. I've also heard that Delawares have a bit of a spice to them and don't always play well with others, maybe SHE'S just trying to tell him what's up. Who knows.. hopefully someone here might.

Here are some pictures... (second post, posting this text from my computer then uploading the pics from my phone.)

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate it. If you think you need more pictures I'll gladly take more tomorrow when I have someone to hold HER for me.. ;)

Pic of rooster buff for comparison

Hold on.. site isn't cooperating with my phone and giving me a hard time with pics.

Last edited:

There we go, thanks for your patience, that was an ordeal. My phone didn't want to upload and my computer is old and doesn't like cooperating with my phone too easily.

Anyways, As you can see, SHE has much fuller feathers than both of my roosters and looks the same as my other hens so I don't know what to think. I want to say she's a hen. She sounds like a Hen as well when compared to the noise my Roo's make.. hopefully you guys can help. I'll be bummed if she turns out to be a Roo seeing as 2 of the 3 delawares I got turned out to be Easter Eggers... really white easter eggers, lol.

If the comb grows taller and turns pink, and waddles appear by 4-6 weeks then you generally know you have a cockerel. The pullet (hen) will usually not change much at all in the comb or waddles for several more weeks.

The first Delaware pic looks like a pink comb, but it must be the light because the other two pics do not look pink at all, I say pullet (hen). The buff's comb looks rather large...

Last edited:
Delaware at a month old. This one could IMHO go either way. The comb is not HUGE but it is there. I am thinking that one actually looks almost exactly like one of mine did at that age and SHE is a very bossy hen.

I would like to reserve my final call on this one for another month.
(unless it crows in the mean time
wink.png
)

Thanks a lot guys, I'll definitely keep you updated. It's strange, HER comb does look a little pink at times, sometimes it doesn't. It's not just you or the pictures, heh. The Buff's comb is big and if someone is being picked on, the antagonist is definitely this little guy. I like him though, as long as he isn't too aggressive with me and doesn't hurt any of my other chickens I'll probably keep him around. I actually ordered 1 buff rooster with my bunch and turns out I got 2. The one I ordered isn't nearly as developed comb wise, but it has the exact same under developed feathers and his comb is bigger than the other chicks, just not quite as pink. I'm going to have to find a home for one probably, I don't want to eat one.. but if worst comes to worst I might try it since I've never done it before. I get too attached though, these are pets and that makes it tough.

One thing I learned about the delawares by the way...
The males in the pictures on line indicate some schmutz in the feathering on the back......however..... the bossy hen of mine has that and with the delaware breed being on a comeback many other chickens have been bred into them so I would not go by the schmutz as an indicator at all.

I mention it since yours also has a small amount of schmutz. I do not see it as a negative so please do not take it that way. Charger is quite a nice chicken here. (Earned that name by always charging me for treats or petting)

Back
Top Bottom