CharlieBaby

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
My older Buff Orpington is internally laying. This happened last summer and resolved itself over the darker winter months. It’s now happening again and much worse than before. Her abdomen is very swollen. My local vet did an ultrasound and identified round yolk-like shapes.

She recommended I see an avian vet to explore the option of Deslorin implant (off-label) or hormone injections to stop my hen from laying. This would be a treatment, not a cure. (More info here, if interested.)

Questions… Have you had success treating inbound layers with deslorin implant or hormone injections? How long did results last? What was the cost?

Last edited:
My older Buff Orpington is internally laying. This happened last summer and resolved itself over the darker winter months. It’s now happening again and much worse than before. Her abdomen is very swollen. My local vet did an ultrasound and identified round yolk-like shapes.

She recommended I see an avian vet to explore the option of Deslorin implant (off-label) or hormone injections to stop my hen from laying. This would be a treatment, not a cure. (More info here, if interested.)

Questions… Have you had success treating inbound layers with deslorin implant or hormone injections? How long did results last? What was the cost?
@micstrachan has done it. there is some info here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-of-our-flock.1286630/page-7122#post-25159234

Thank you for sharing! I found a vet who does Supraloren (deslorin) implants and took my hen in today. The cost was $90 for a general exam plus $175 for the implant at Crossroads Vet in Bellevue, WA.

Dr. Bruce gave a very brief exam — potentially because another vet had already suggested the implant — then got straight to the procedure. I was in the office for less than 10 minutes total, but went away with an implant so… mission accomplished. I do appreciate that Dr. Bruce will administer backyard chickens Supraloren, as many vets won’t. It seems this implant can drastically improve a hen’s quality of life, and for that reason I hope to see more vets adding chicken care as well as Supraloren to their scope of practice.

The procedure itself wasn’t very fun for my hen, Thanos. Dr. Bruce numbed a small part of her back with topical lidocaine and then quickly inserted the implant using a 16 gauge needle. He dabbed the bleeding then glued her skin shut and that was that. She was mostly calm but afterwards let out several loud, piercing squawks like I’ve never heard her do before; she seemed to be in pain. I took some time to calm her in the car, then we made the two hour drive back.

during the drive home, she was panting heavily off-and-on and her tail was drooping. Understandable, she was much more skittish than usual. I think the combination of the trek there and back plus the implant were a lot for a hen who is used to a very predictable routine. That said, it’s now four hours post-procedure and she seems much more herself. I’ll update here as time goes on.

Thank you for sharing! I found a vet who does Supraloren (deslorin) implants and took my hen in today. The cost was $90 for a general exam plus $175 for the implant at Crossroads Vet in Bellevue, WA.

Dr. Bruce gave a very brief exam — potentially because another vet had already suggested the implant — then got straight to the procedure. I was in the office for less than 10 minutes total, but went away with an implant so… mission accomplished. I do appreciate that Dr. Bruce will administer backyard chickens Supraloren, as many vets won’t. It seems this implant can drastically improve a hen’s quality of life, and for that reason I hope to see more vets adding chicken care as well as Supraloren to their scope of practice.

The procedure itself wasn’t very fun for my hen, Thanos. Dr. Bruce numbed a small part of her back with topical lidocaine and then quickly inserted the implant using a 16 gauge needle. He dabbed the bleeding then glued her skin shut and that was that. She was mostly calm but afterwards let out several loud, piercing squawks like I’ve never heard her do before; she seemed to be in pain. I took some time to calm her in the car, then we made the two hour drive back.

during the drive home, she was panting heavily off-and-on and her tail was drooping. Understandable, she was much more skittish than usual. I think the combination of the trek there and back plus the implant were a lot for a hen who is used to a very predictable routine. That said, it’s now four hours post-procedure and she seems much more herself. I’ll update here as time goes on.
Thank you SO much for this info and your above posts too... I've been trying to lock down a BALLpark of what this "uber expensive" implant would cost and FINALLY found your recent post! I have yet to determine if the ONE avian vet in our area will even do so- as I wasn't sure it was a road I could go down yet- but will now check to see!

Had been in touch with one other person in the UK who had great luck with this recently and like yours in the past was lucky to have it start just prior to the winter months so stopped laying naturally but came back in this spring!
Like you, I'm only worried about her quality of life. Thus far that's been dependent on my treatment of the resultant symptoms/problems from internal laying... Which she's responded to really nicely but every week brings a few days again where I can tell she just doesn't quite seem herself-at least until they're let out of run for in the afternoon and even then, she's more "strolling" than foraging with zeal! ;-)
But she seems happy out in the yard! Problem is we have a real "hawk alley" thru our property and they are VERY active- esp in the am...so going thru a hawk attack is NOT on my wish list... so we try to at least compromise and minimize the risk...

Boy I wish I was still completely ignorant to this entire issue (kidding- but it sucks to know what I'm in store for most likely with my others- one of whom we already lost- she never even really laid so likely really had some internal reproductive issues- perhaps neoplasia's) of internal laying and crop issues with these chickens that were sadly bred to lay, lay, lay!! I've been BLOWN away by what I've read over the last couple months- that we've gone from an avg of 16-maybe 20/yr from their original ancestor- the jungle fowl- to an avg (from memory here ;-) so forgive me if I'm off a bit) of around 120/yr in the early 1900's from a "farm" chicken.... to now having so many of them avg 300 eggs/year!!! That has been purposefully bred into them and boy I feel guilty for being so clueless that we participated in this by picking up a total of 8 (2-foursomes) adorable chicks from TSC that my DH brought home after we started to really talk about using the coop/run that came with our new home....

But I guess we are absolved of that initial ignorance but will DEF work much harder to find a responsible reputable breeder for any more chickens we 'adopt' (I say as they're mostly pets- who used to come with an insane amt of eggs as a bonus) but now I realize that was just for really those first 2-2 1/2 yrs... our troubles came after that first molt their second fall/winter.

BUT truly- thanks again!! Praying for your little Thanos... think she was far more stressed by the whole "adventure" as you pointed out- than the actual injection. Yeah, a 16Ga needle is pretty big but he even used some lidocaine! pretty nice ;-) (problem as a human at least is that they SO often don't wait long enough to give that a couple MINUTES to even work first! just do it and then dive in!)
But my hen tolerated about 5 injections total (though with a 22Ga) into the same area between the wings on back/base of neck without even reacting really at all- was far more upset about being picked up and held than eventually getting her abx SQ injection- did great. What you described sounds like every other description of the procedure I've read down to the glue!
🥰
God Bless! Will def. look for any updates!!

Thank you SO much for this info and your above posts too... I've been trying to lock down a BALLpark of what this "uber expensive" implant would cost and FINALLY found your recent post! I have yet to determine if the ONE avian vet in our area will even do so- as I wasn't sure it was a road I could go down yet- but will now check to see!

Had been in touch with one other person in the UK who had great luck with this recently and like yours in the past was lucky to have it start just prior to the winter months so stopped laying naturally but came back in this spring!
Like you, I'm only worried about her quality of life. Thus far that's been dependent on my treatment of the resultant symptoms/problems from internal laying... Which she's responded to really nicely but every week brings a few days again where I can tell she just doesn't quite seem herself-at least until they're let out of run for in the afternoon and even then, she's more "strolling" than foraging with zeal! ;-)
But she seems happy out in the yard! Problem is we have a real "hawk alley" thru our property and they are VERY active- esp in the am...so going thru a hawk attack is NOT on my wish list... so we try to at least compromise and minimize the risk...

Boy I wish I was still completely ignorant to this entire issue (kidding- but it sucks to know what I'm in store for most likely with my others- one of whom we already lost- she never even really laid so likely really had some internal reproductive issues- perhaps neoplasia's) of internal laying and crop issues with these chickens that were sadly bred to lay, lay, lay!! I've been BLOWN away by what I've read over the last couple months- that we've gone from an avg of 16-maybe 20/yr from their original ancestor- the jungle fowl- to an avg (from memory here ;-) so forgive me if I'm off a bit) of around 120/yr in the early 1900's from a "farm" chicken.... to now having so many of them avg 300 eggs/year!!! That has been purposefully bred into them and boy I feel guilty for being so clueless that we participated in this by picking up a total of 8 (2-foursomes) adorable chicks from TSC that my DH brought home after we started to really talk about using the coop/run that came with our new home....

But I guess we are absolved of that initial ignorance but will DEF work much harder to find a responsible reputable breeder for any more chickens we 'adopt' (I say as they're mostly pets- who used to come with an insane amt of eggs as a bonus) but now I realize that was just for really those first 2-2 1/2 yrs... our troubles came after that first molt their second fall/winter.

BUT truly- thanks again!! Praying for your little Thanos... think she was far more stressed by the whole "adventure" as you pointed out- than the actual injection. Yeah, a 16Ga needle is pretty big but he even used some lidocaine! pretty nice ;-) (problem as a human at least is that they SO often don't wait long enough to give that a couple MINUTES to even work first! just do it and then dive in!)
But my hen tolerated about 5 injections total (though with a 22Ga) into the same area between the wings on back/base of neck without even reacting really at all- was far more upset about being picked up and held than eventually getting her abx SQ injection- did great. What you described sounds like every other description of the procedure I've read down to the glue!
🥰
God Bless! Will def. look for any updates!!
Yes, I agree that it can be both helpful and sad to learn about chicken health issues as well as the commercial chicken industry. The advent of high-yield hens has ushered in an astounding array of reproductive illnesses. With what I’ve learned lately, I now plan to buy lower-yield breeds (straight run) from my local feed store who hatches their own birds, give regular at-home health exams, keep the coop dark throughout the winter, and budget for deslorlin hormonal implants and antibiotics in anticipation of complications. I realize this approach won’t align with every backyard chicken-keeper, but it’s what sits best with me.

A week after the procedure, Thanos is doing well. We are working through a predator issue so she hasn’t been truly “free ranging,” but she walks around when I follow her

Thanos is doing really well. I’ll weigh her in a week or so to see if she’s lost some of the inflammation weight and hopefully begun to reabsorb any internal egg matter. It’s the best I can hope for.

Best of luck to your flock as well as those of any other chicken-keepers who may be reading this!

We're of ONE mind on this one!!
I've got to call my closest avian vet to see if she'll do the implant and how much... if I can get my family on board!! :confused: Hubby loves them too but we truly had NO idea just how bad this situation could be or really anything about the whole breeding to produce/reproductive nightmare many of us are facing now!
Agree that any further chickens will be DEF carefully bred and as old school producing as possible!

This is of course provided my girls are doing well enough to get it! Have one that somehow really did great after a course of SQ long acting broad spectrum antibiotic- I'm talking like total loss of her excess fluid weight by the end of that course so about 12days- she lost it so quick I was a bit worried but she was feeling great it seemed and eating like she used to- so slowly she regained some of the wt lost from not eating etc. and we leveled out to a normal weight... some days it looks from a distance that she's gotten HUGE again but then I pick her up (if I can catch her- that's a huge gauge for my gals) and she feels fine and her weight is good. BUT we've got yellow back in her poop and she's obviously not eating near as much as the volume is way down (output). She has more good days than iffy ones (where she strolls when out and kinda just hangs out in dirt bath in run- not that they all don't quite a bit. But she hasn't seemed anything near what she was- though she's obviously laying internally as she's not laid an egg since what I thought was hers on Easter Sunday- a ONE off...

Anyway- the other little one that was so sick with sour crop had rebounded wonderfully and was looking like her old self with a bright, big floppy comb again- and did lay several eggs but not 'normal' yet- was hoping they'd get there as has happened in past after a break in laying...
She then laid an egg with a much better shell- but was flat out dark TEAL... SO weird....sticks out like ALL get out in my basket ;-) but now she's acting 'off' again and her belly is tight... gotta get a good assessment today to make any decisions...almost hoping for more of an egg bound situation than internal laying... that's SAD....;-( but I'm hoping that is more "treatable"... Have some liquid calcium coming in today that will be easier to give when they're not eating well...

One implant is completely do-able but I've got 5 of them that could be needing this...that's a cost I'm not sure we were planning to incur... Saying prayers that the vet community will catch up with the problems the breeders etc have set into motion and we can have this be far more normative treatment!! It works as studies clearly show- in detail!
Guess we'll see!!
Good to see people out there REALLY truly advocating for better care and access to meds for those who have no access to an avian vet willing to treat 'backyard chickens'....a definitive complex issue!!
Who knew?! ;-) I'm trying to keep my head up and not let this all sour me to my newfound love of these guys- they're the best! 🥰

Thanks for the update!!😙

My beautiful 6 year old Ebony Belgian Maline hen Mimi has just been diagnosed with internal laying. Her body was able to reabsorb the fluids for probably months, and she seemed herself except I had noticed intermittent labored breathing at times. Now I know why, as the build up of fluids was causing it. She's always been so robust and verbal and yesterday was totally weak. I luckily got an appointment with our only local vet that sees chickens and she diagnosed her. I'm giving her an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic for the next several days. But the vet said, if she doesn't improve in a week, she suggests euthanasia! The vet did mention I could try to find someone who might "clean her out" and do an implant.
I'm so sad and not very hopeful I will find anyone in this area. It is early June and I'm hoping if she can just get through this summer, then the hormones will die down. But I realize it will be the same case and probably worse next year.
I'm heartened to read that others have the same feelings I do about all this - I see my girls as companion animals.

My beautiful 6 year old Ebony Belgian Maline hen Mimi has just been diagnosed with internal laying. Her body was able to reabsorb the fluids for probably months, and she seemed herself except I had noticed intermittent labored breathing at times. Now I know why, as the build up of fluids was causing it. She's always been so robust and verbal and yesterday was totally weak. I luckily got an appointment with our only local vet that sees chickens and she diagnosed her. I'm giving her an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic for the next several days. But the vet said, if she doesn't improve in a week, she suggests euthanasia! The vet did mention I could try to find someone who might "clean her out" and do an implant.
I'm so sad and not very hopeful I will find anyone in this area. It is early June and I'm hoping if she can just get through this summer, then the hormones will die down. But I realize it will be the same case and probably worse next year.
I'm heartened to read that others have the same feelings I do about all this - I see my girls as companion animals.
I’m sorry your Ebony is having a tough time. If she’s weak, the “clean out” surgery may be too much for her. Talk to your vet, but my understanding is surgery can often be avoided as long as there are no egg shells or infection.

As long as she’s eating and has a little spark, I would hold off on euthanasia. Chickens are tough and sometimes make surprising recoveries. That said, these choices are up to you and what you believe is best.

If you’re looking for the hormonal implant, call around. I had to call several vets before I found a match, two hours from my house. The implant is common in other animals, especially ferrets, and some vets who give them are open to considering implanting in chickens, especially if you can confirm the bird won’t be used for human consumption. Goes by the names deslorelin or supraloren. Hopefully these will become more common as we chicken keepers advocate for their use.

Best of luck. Whatever happens, you’ve clearly given Ebony a loving home and done all you could reasonably do to keep her comfortable. 💕

My hen Lorraine who was rehomed to me came with various issues — worms, lice, brittle eggs, crop issues and a large soft lump below her vent. I had a telehealth consult with an avian vet then took her to a regular ver to get the Suprelorin contraceptive implant. It’s expensive. Over $500AUD. She was very subdued for a week or two, went through a dramatic moult, looked like an old crone for several months and is just now starting to return to normal. She’s in excellent health now and I think having a break from laying really helped with that. I would recommend it to anyone with a laying hen with multiple/serious issues if you can afford it.

Thank you, Charlie Baby and Lilith 37 for sharing your experiences with the hormone implant. Your support is much appreciated. Now I don't feel so alone in this .
After 3 days of anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory that my local Vet prescribed, Mimi perked up a bit but is still not her total robust self. She still eats, scratches, hunts and verbalizes a bit, a big improvement from 3 days ago when she could barely stand. But I suspect this is a long-term condition which is amplified during spring/summer laying season and will occur again. Therefore, I'll be checking in with her Vet to see if she can recommend the implant and get me a referral to someone (hopefully) in the area who can do the procedure.
Wow, a bit of sticker shock on the cost, but this girl is special. Problem is, all my "girls" are special.

Back
Top Bottom