Devastated... Lost 7 of 13 chicks last night.

I'm new here...haven't even introduced myself yet, I've mostly been getting to know the community (and I love it so far!) That said, I am so very sorry for your loss. I had my first devastating moment about 2 weeks ago, when one of my small flock of 5 got attacked by one or more of the 4 other girls. They tore the back of her head open really bad. I felt AWFUL. I managed to save her and patch her up, but like you, I felt like a terrible chicken mama. It's all a huge learning process. Please don't beat yourself up too badly. Your dog was just doing what dogs do, and now you know to be as overprotective as humanly possible to prevent any future incidents. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, ok? I wish you the best of luck with your remaining babies. You've come to a great place for advice and support from what I've seen so far. 🥰 I guess now I should go introduce myself properly, lol. I look forward to seeing you around the page! :)

This is my first go around with chicks or any poultry for that matter. Long story short I trusted my dog too much and last night at 1:30am her curiosity got the best of my new and first flock. I received the 13 chicks at 24 hours old, I have spent the last 2 1/2 weeks, learning about raising chicks and learning MY chicks. Two different brooders, on Monday I built an outdoor "playpen", two with pasty butt the first week, needless to say I was very invested. I had a roll of three foot high hardware cloth that I would roll across the brooder at night but I used it for my chick playpen. My dog awoke from my sons room and went into the living room, where I have been keeping the brooder (a 110 gallon trough with all the bells and whistles), and within seconds she jumped in, I heard the commotion and flew out of bed and screamed at her and she jumped out, but in that 30-45 seconds 7 of my chicks died. I only had one Silkie who in the first day I thought was going to die, then she had pasty butt day three and four, but was starting to look strong and healthy, she didn't make it. I also had a red Bielefender, I believed him to be a rooster and he was my favorite of all time, he is gone also. I'm not sure why my first response is to come on here and tell you all my horrible experience. Just needing to vent maybe.
As I write I also have noticed my 5 remaining chicks seem to be sleeping a lot more today than usual. Can they feel the loss? Can this effect them?
I am also wondering if I should try to get some new chicks to replace my loss. Wondering if I should give my five remaining to some friends that have been looking for some and get a whole new set so they are all the same age. I have learned my lesson with my dog and understand she cannot be trusted with poultry. We have goats and she has no problem with them. And she has never had an issue with another dog, or people, or children. I have so many questions and feelings. I have guilt because deep down I know I let my birds down.
That is so sad, I also lost one of our 32 chicks. First loss...it hurt so bad.

Your situation was an accident, who would think your dog would decide to jump inside. Don't feel guilty, not your fault.

I would keep your existing remaining babies and get more that are about the same age.

Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

This is my first go around with chicks or any poultry for that matter. Long story short I trusted my dog too much and last night at 1:30am her curiosity got the best of my new and first flock. I received the 13 chicks at 24 hours old, I have spent the last 2 1/2 weeks, learning about raising chicks and learning MY chicks. Two different brooders, on Monday I built an outdoor "playpen", two with pasty butt the first week, needless to say I was very invested. I had a roll of three foot high hardware cloth that I would roll across the brooder at night but I used it for my chick playpen. My dog awoke from my sons room and went into the living room, where I have been keeping the brooder (a 110 gallon trough with all the bells and whistles), and within seconds she jumped in, I heard the commotion and flew out of bed and screamed at her and she jumped out, but in that 30-45 seconds 7 of my chicks died. I only had one Silkie who in the first day I thought was going to die, then she had pasty butt day three and four, but was starting to look strong and healthy, she didn't make it. I also had a red Bielefender, I believed him to be a rooster and he was my favorite of all time, he is gone also. I'm not sure why my first response is to come on here and tell you all my horrible experience. Just needing to vent maybe.
As I write I also have noticed my 5 remaining chicks seem to be sleeping a lot more today than usual. Can they feel the loss? Can this effect them?
I am also wondering if I should try to get some new chicks to replace my loss. Wondering if I should give my five remaining to some friends that have been looking for some and get a whole new set so they are all the same age. I have learned my lesson with my dog and understand she cannot be trusted with poultry. We have goats and she has no problem with them. And she has never had an issue with another dog, or people, or children. I have so many questions and feelings. I have guilt because deep down I know I let my birds down.
Don't feel bad....From now on, take your dog to the chicks and watch him carefully....When he goes near them let him know you do not approved by saying whatever command you have taught him for NO. He will learn real quick to not bother them ....We have around 100 Chickens, some roosters and 3 dogs. and NO PROBLEM.

It happens to the best of us sometimes - I let my broody sit on some eggs & sadly she squashed the chick that was half hatched - but she still tried to protect it as I pulled it from under her so it wasn’t intended but I felt badly it wasn’t in the incubator... but she tried & I tried & next time she’s broody I will be sure to provide more cushioned support under her

You just need to train your dog better, punish her if she gets within a few feet of the brooder

that is one of the many reasons why I would never have any dog
in my opinion more chickens predators are dogs period. just a saying.
I lost my last 3 over two weeks ago supposedly to a fox.( for me...acc to the new owners) Roo Roo is the only one left of mine that they keep still...I had given them away again when Hubby had a health crisis, I regret that so much. We buried them here. Guilt is bothering me so much. I feel I left them down. I cried when I gave them up last year.
I kept telling myself to go get my Baby girls as they were my "love girls"The people are really nice an generous as they took them in over almost 2 yrs ago. Several died there then too. supposedly from illness, predators. I never lost any here but one supposedly from a Fatty liver"? acc to the necropsy. which I seriously doubt
So she's not buried here. They would not give me back her body. So Im sorry I took her to the vet school,,,
The one other my sweeti biggest girl at new owners was supposedly, taken by a raccoon. So acc to the new owners they never found her remains. so I'm still sad and guilt.
Hubby doesn't want me to get any again. But I hate looking at the empty coops and runs etc.im too old to get chicks again but nice to have older Barrr Rockers. ones that have been cooped up an never experience real room to run and frolic...
Plus It infuriates me how many defenseless chickens had been gassed etc and disposed of like trash. recently by big conglomerates etc. They should have offered them as rescue birds
That one reason Im almost a vegetarian... thanks for letting me vent. take care all blessings to all

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that chickens do feel sad over the death of their coup mates, especially if they were young together. They will eventually get over it they are a bit scared, traumatized and depressed. They will most likely become very skittish as they grow up due to such a traumatizing experience at such a young age. As for the pasty butt it's probably due to the flakes they are staying in. Make sure you NEVER get small flakes and always use large pine chips or straw. As for the dog being friendly to goats and other dogs it's really just about size and genetics. Dogs are genetically trained to go for small animals and she may not even be aggressive to them as adults. My dogs were sort of sketchy around my baby duck but fine with the adults. Just make sure you an eye on the dog.
Once I had a duck killed by a raccoon and a chicken that was always hanging out with her (I think they were good friends) died shortly after. I hope some of this helped, definitely do some research about pasty butt if it isn't the bedding.

So many words of wisdom offered to you in the previous posts - all true! It's the worst when you can't protect the helpless.

Years ago, I lost a couple hens and my rooster to an unknown predator and the remaining hens were so traumatized and depressed they went into a molt and moped around, barely leaving their coop. I replaced the rooster and it took a couple weeks for them to accept each other but they did perk up after that.

Also, my dogs are fine with my free range chickens and geese, but a friend gave me 6 half-grown ducklings last year and they murdered them all on the 3rd day I had them. I was heart broken and never suspected the dogs would react like that.

Well, I am sure she would have been OK with them once they are grown, little chicks just are so tiny My dogs are trustable once they are a little bit bigger, but sometimes a bigger dog cannot even see a little chick and they could even accidentally step on one and kill it in an instant, not even knowing it was there

I believe of the 8 we lost 6 were trampled. I had them in a 110 gallon water trough so when she jumped in and chaos ensued, even if only for 30-45 seconds the poor babies had no chance!

:hugs

That's so sad... I've lost quite a few birds. It's harder at the beginning, but eventually you just accept that that's just life on the farm. 💔😔

Back
Top Bottom