Diagrams,poultry parts,charts, and lots of reading Updated Nov. 13th

Posting to put in my posts. I need time to really read it. If I don't put it in my posts I'll forget about it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is a great post...now I have another 3 hours of chicken reading. My wife is ready to ban my computer time...LOL

I'm confused by the term "roach back". The APA-SOP defines it as, "a deformed, humped back, a disqualification." Is this something you identify by running your hand over a bird's back or can you see it? Is this hump more center back or towards the hips/shoulders? At what age would you be able to identify it in a young bird for culling purposes? How common is it?

Thanks!

Quote:
In severe cases you can easily see it. In other cases you would have to feel it. Generally it is more towards the shoulders. In severe cases you could see it at a very young age. (4 weeks or less). I have raised many thousands of birds and have only have seen it a couple times. It is hereditary, so if you have a line with it, you would see it more often.

Walt

Quote:
X2

It is now a stick it can be found here,
-Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
--Notable Reference & Breed Thread Discussions (at the top of the Breeds, Genetics, & Showing page)
---Various Diagrams on parts of a Chicken (at the top of the Notable Reference & Breed Thread Discussions page)

Chris

Quote:
Buy her a silkie and show the silkie threads to her
wink.png
THEN your problem will be getting her to share the computer with you
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom